Mobile Me for Me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThePrimeDreamer, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ThePrimeDreamer macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about getting MobileMe recently and have been conversing on various forums about the pros and cons about the service. Personally what I find appealing are: web hosting capabilities, cloud-space as online storage, file access on the web, and the overall easy-of-use with other Apple programs. But what I'm worried about is (besides the whole bang for your buck scenario) speeds, especially download, upload, and web site times.

So I've been looking at web hosts that can also serve as online storage depositories and SugarSync seems to be a fairly good competitor to MobileMe. But I just don't know yet. I'm torn between getting a .Mac now while it's cheap but then I'd also like to know how MobileMe actually runs on July 11.

You guys have any thoughts? The closest I can think of is getting a .Mac now and hope I can return it, if MobileMe isn't as "blessed" as Steve would like us to believe.

Sigh, thoughts anyone?

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Sign up for a free trial of .Mac. It last 60 days, so you'll be able to test out MobileMe for about half of that.

As far as speed goes, I uploaded a 5.7 MB file to my iDisk this afternoon from my Powerbook (which is--by far--my slowest computer) and it took less than a minute, maybe even only 30ish seconds (I wasn't paying close attention, but I was surprised how fast the upload was). So take that for what it's worth.

3. ThePrimeDreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

@IgnatiusTheKing

Yeah, I recently signed up for an account hoping to catch a "@mac.com" address before it fully goes "@me". I guess I'm just really wanting a way to get it cheap now and be sure entirely, that if it's not for me, that I can return it.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Most likely you won't be able to return it as all that is in the box is an activation code, but you can find it for $55-$70 (under $60 at this place).

5. bonafide* macrumors newbie

regardless of if you buy it now as .mac or if you get it as mobile me, the price is going to stay the same, you just basically get more space and features and you can choose which email extension you want to keep, either mac.com or me.com. You cannot return it once you buy it and activate it. Just use the trial if you aren't sure. IMO, it's worth it.

6. ThePrimeDreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but I'm talking about reseller prices that make it far more appealing, which is why I'm blabbing so much about it :).

But thanks for your comments guys.