Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albeli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Here
Has anyone seen when the free trial of Mobile Me will be available? I assume it will launch in "mid-July" along with the service? I'm anxious to get a decent user name. ;) (Not a .Mac user)

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
yeah, I haven't seen an actual date yet, but I'm sure it's a safe bet to say that the trial will be offered the same day MobileMe is officially launched, which, as you said, will be later on this month

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Just do the 60 day .Mac trial now and it will go to MobileMe, then you'll be able to keep your .Mac email address after the transition.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
I think that they need to release Mobile Me and software 2.0 a few days before July 11. On July 11, all of the servers will be so jamed that between activation of your new iPhone and getting setup on Mobile Me it may be tough getting on. If it were launched say 3 days before and a early release of 2.0, people could get everything set up and ready for iPhone 3G.

albeli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Here
Just do the 60 day .Mac trial now and it will go to MobileMe, then you'll be able to keep your .Mac email address after the transition.

Duh! Thank you! I don't know why I didn't think to see if there was a free trial for .mac. :eek:

I just signed up and got my first-choice user name. :)

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I think that they need to release Mobile Me and software 2.0 a few days before July 11. On July 11, all of the servers will be so jamed that between activation of your new iPhone and getting setup on Mobile Me it may be tough getting on. If it were launched say 3 days before and a early release of 2.0, people could get everything set up and ready for iPhone 3G.

I kind of agree. It's already enough of a strain with so many people downloading the firmware update on the day it's released, but add the additional people buying the new iPhone and trying to log onto the app store, and you've got even more of a problem. I just hope that it'll be able to hold up ok and not cause a lot of issues. once I get my new iPhone in my hands, I'm going to want to be able to log into the app store and fill it full of cool apps to play around with

albeli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Here
Small question--can I change the the spelling of my name? Not my user name (example: john.smith@mac.com)--the name associated with my account (ex. John Smith)--I have a Spanish character in my last name that I didn't enter when I signed up. Stupid.

ETA: I found it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.