Mobile Me / iPhone Inbox Q

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ec51, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ec51 macrumors 6502

Okay:

This is weird and I am not sure why my phone/MM does this. But when I delete a message on my iPhone from my MM account, it is still in my MM inbox (appears as being read) on the net. Why is it not in the trash?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

This is the way that it works. The message will be in there until the official delete expires. You set this on the iPhone by going to Settings-Mail, Contacts, & Calendars-your account-Advanced. There you will see a Remove option and you can chose from several settings. I hope this helps.

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I believe this is related to the TRASH Folder and NOT the InBox which is what the OP is talking about.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

This is a well known bug that many have found and have posted on this forum.

1. Delete on the iPhone.
    2. On MobileMe Web Client you will see the message in BOTH the InBox and the Trash Folder.
    3. If you have multiple on in the condition and you delete 1 all will be deleted.

This is not a problem when using Outlook or other IMAP Clients. Only with the iPhone. If you delete in Outlook it is removed from the InBox Folder on MobileMe. If you then Purge in Outlook it is remove complete from MobileMe.

What is strange is that if you delete from iPhone and you look at Outlook you will see that the messages is flagged for deletion (same as if you deleted on Outlook). I.E. There is LINE thru it. You then only have to Purge in Outlook. However, I do believe this is a minor difference in the deleted messages folder, just can't rember now. Maybe that is the problem.

There are so many problems with MobileMe Web Client that most just use Outlook or the equilvalent on the Mac.

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

CORRECTION ABOUT OUTLOOK:

When you delete from Outlook a LINE is drawn thru it to indicate the message was deleted. It does NOT remove it from the InBox on MobileMe. In my case I have the PURGE option set where if you change folders all items MARKED for delete are PURGED. This in turn removes them from MobileMe. However, if you do something similiar on iPhone (like DELETE FROM TRASH FOLDER) they are not deleted from MobileMe.

Also, when you delete on the iPhone it does show with a LINE THRU it on Outlook (soon). So in my case when I change folders in Outlook it is then removed from MobileMe.

Maybe the problem is that MobileMe just does not "INDICATE" that a message has been deleted. Like Outlook does with the LINE THRU it.

6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I have a question too...

My husband's iphone is syncing properly however his inbox is empty on MobileMe. In his mail app you can see all the email he hasn't deleted, but on MobileMe it's blank. Now he has created other folders that hold emails he wants to save and those are fine. It's just the inbox on MobileMe that is blank. He has a 1st Gen iphone; I have the 3G and it's working perfectly...iPhone, MacBook, and MobileMe in sync. Any ideas why his is working differently, all the settings seem to be the same??

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

This is bit strange. The only thing I can think of is that the MobileMe Web Client is having a problem connecting to the MobileMe Cloud (which is what the mail app is syncing with). I would look at the status bar when trying to connect.

This is another reason to use the mail app instead of the MobileMe Web Client. However, I would continue to "play" with the MobileMe Web Client to see if it gets better.

8. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Thanks

I'll get my hands on his phone this afternoon and start "playing". I'll probably screw it all up!!