Mobile me phase out details

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gav2k, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Got this just now from apple...

Important information for MobileMe members.
    Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

MobileMe is a service provided by Apple • Terms of Service • Privacy Policy
    Copyright © 2011 Apple Inc. • 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014

You are receiving this email from Apple to notify you of service information regarding your MobileMe account.

2. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

Wow, I'm not really surprised to hear this after all the trouble MobileMe has given Apple.

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

But what does it mean?

Does my .mac & .me email addresses go away?
    Or do I get a .iCloud email address?

iDisk? ...

4. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

We keep out email addresses for a start and iDisk still exists as part of the paid side of icloud I think :s

5. korowa macrumors newbie

What about "Back To Mac" and the MobileMe online Photo Gallery?? will those be incorporated in this "iCloud" business?

6. AGSP macrumors newbie

Personal Domain

What will happen to the Personal Domain feature?

7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Alas I was one of the few who depended on MobileMe. I use all 5 family pack emails, iDisk, personal domain and web hosting.

It seems as a long time user of these paid services I am SOL. Too bad really. I would pay to keep my family website up, my email unchanged and pay more for the new features.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The will not be any personal domain as apple is moving away from any web hosting/idisk type functionality.

Just look at iLife and the omission of iWeb from that suite

9. stark4 macrumors 6502

if i want the apple email address .me or .mac or .icloud can i sign up when icloud is avilable or do i need to signup for mobileme now?