Mobile-Me "Push" and Folder Hierarchy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasonnorm, Jul 28, 2008.

1. jasonnorm macrumors regular

jasonnorm

Greetings,

Question regarding Mobile-Me (god I hate that name) and "Push" email. I have noticed that only emails that land in my "in-box" will result in a badge notification of a new email. If I have rules in place to filter various emails to folders, I get no notification of new email and I actually need to access the sub-folder itself to see that there was a new email (there will not even be a new email counter value next to the folder until I actually access it).

So, is this normal or are my IMAP settings off?

If it is normal, is there a workaround to this so that I get a notification that I have new email even if a filter moves that email to sub-folder off of my inbox?

(NOTE: All folders etc exist on the Mobile-Me server, I am not moving anything to local folders so it is truly an IMAP implementation).

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

You can barely get that function in a standard email application. Your referring to IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE. Push is only going to work for the inbox.
    The only email applications I know of that this works in, is Mutt, and Thunderbird, once you enable the setting. And I am pretty sure Thunderbird is just checking email in other directories, not actually listening for mail in other directories.

I guess you could setup multiple accounts for IMAP on your iPhone, then set the INBOX to another directory for each directory you want to check. Though that would be pretty tedious if you have 50 folders you want to check.

I WISH IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE was something that was more widely used.
    Its really nice, though can pound a mailserver with many users on it.

3. jasonnorm thread starter macrumors regular

jasonnorm