Mobile me users , 10.5.6 drains battery ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by franzmueller, Dec 19, 2008.

1. franzmueller macrumors regular

Or maybe I´m the only one and my iphone is going crazy but since Mobile me has been somehow revamped with the latest software update the battery of my phone barely holds one day .

Push is great , to much push not ?

Any other out there with the same problem ? my phone was holding perfectly until midnight and in many times not even half empty but now ..... it´s 7.oo pm and I already got less than 20 % juice

Saludos

Franz

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Call me strange but how does a Mac OS update affect your iPhone? If there are no changes on your Mac, then there shouldn't be any affect on your iPhone.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

My car has mysterious became less fuel efficient since I upgraded to 10.5.6 as well...

I think he's referring to the possibility of excessive push service being added to 10.5.6, which he is associating it with draining battery.

4. ifirth macrumors member

I'm afraid I have to agree with the OP. I have installed 10.5.6 on the desktop and battery life on the iPhone has just fallen away. Having to turn off wireless and Bluetooth if I know I am going to be away from a charger all day. This could only be push services right?

5. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

The latest software package includes Mobile me fixes .

Now ( at least in my case ) I do really have PUSH services with my contacts , calenders etc .

I think that this new & great service is the reason why the battery of my iphone is draining so quickly because is fetching data every minute ?

I the past ( beside of mail ) all changes took 15 min at least to appear in my other devices like my ipod Touch or my ibooks

THIS is what I´m asking

Saludos

6. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I think so ... I turned off the PUSH service and my phone is now fetching data every 15 minutes .

It´s too early to say but it looks like my battery is back to normal .

I wish , I could get some more info from other mobile me users ...

Saludos

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I really can't see how.

The computer doesn't talk to the phone, remember. They both talk to the 'cloud' which then communicates with each device.

All the 10.5.6 update did was change the way the computer talks to the cloud. Nothing should change between the phone and the cloud. So battery life shouldn't be affected.

Now, it's possible they changed the way the phone talks to the cloud at the same time, but then it would affect EVERYONE using MobileMe, not just people who updated their OS.

So I don't know if it's changed, but either it affects everyone or no one. And if it's everyone I have a hard time believing we wouldn't be hearing about more problems around here, right?

So my advice is to restore your phone. Something may be wrong, but I think it's just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as the update.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It includes MobileMe changes for your mac. No effect on the iPhone; the two are capable of communicating, but ultimately independent. The only way this would affect your phone is if you are now using the push services on your mac since it us more "push-like." in that case, it doesn't have anything to do with the update.

9. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Ok , I get it but if the " cloud " is capable to push whatever I change or add into my calenders or contacts means that my phone is receiving that info and therefore consuming battery .

I will restore it and let you know

Saludos

10. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Ok

So I turned the Push off and moved to Fetch every 15 minutes , my phone is now more then 6 hours on standby doing a few calls and some internet surfing on wifi and the battery still show full bars .

The new ( within in a minute ) mobile me Push kills the battery.

Saludos

Franz

11. alFR macrumors 68020

FWIW I can report that my iPhone's battery life is unchanged since 10.5.6, with push enabled both for a MobileMe and an Exchange account. Have you tried calibrating your battery meter (fully charge phone, use it until it turns itself off, fully recharge)?

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But the only way this story makes sense is if you're ALSO sitting at your computer changing the Address Book, iCal, and your bookmarks non-stop.

If you're doing that, I understand. But that seems odd. Are you really sitting at your computer, constantly changing those things?

Because if you're not, the theory doesn't work. WHAT is it that the computer is pushing to your phone constantly? That's the crucial part of the theory: That it's constantly pushing data to the phone. So, what data? What is it sending?

That's the part I don't understand. I mean, you're not really making changes to iCal non-stop all day, right?

EDIT: Might this indicate some problem with your mac? Not the update itself, but something where it's sending out data when it shouldn't be? Perhaps you should change its mobileme syncing from 'auto' to a longer time and see if that helps the phone battery. If it does, it means the 'auto' setting is broken and is sending data even though there haven't been any changes. Not sure how to fix that, but it's an idea worth pursuing.

13. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I see. I have push enabled and have seen no battery decrease at all.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I also have push enabled, and I have not seen a difference in battery life between OS X 10.5.6 and prior versions of Leopard. And I have 3 Macs syncing to the same MobileMe account at my iPhone.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Similar to Push mail service, this will (if it does) only effect users with a lot of items being pushed.

16. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

If for some reason the computer is now syncing more times (buggy software) with the cloud, the push on the phone will mainting increased server comunication.
    I count 2 cases with the same issue here.