Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
just interested which of you iphone users (or users to be) will be subscribing to the mobile me service?

personally for £60 a year i dont think its worth it, it basically just syncs your emails, contacts and calendar over the air instead of syncing in itunes doesnt it? i can see why epople would want it, but not me i dont think, unless it does more than i can see there..

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
as a smartphone user who have been syncing for the past 4 years, i can tell you it WILL be worth it.

However it will only be worth it to you if you use your calendar and tasks. I always HATED syncing my phones because you have to set priority of what overrides what (computer > phone or phone > computer). And if you fudge up it might just clear your whole calendar. With everything pushed with MobileMe it will be a lot easier. :)

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Definitely worth it...

For my business (5 employees) I pay about $70 US per MONTH for Exchange hosting (which is what mobileme is basically trying to emulate). This is what .Mac SHOULD've been, it wasn't up to par/polished before but now w/ mobileme it looks to be headed in the right direction.

I just wish they would allow domain substitutions (MX records being pointed to your own domain) so I can use it for our business emails (not very professional sending as user@me.com to clients. :(

just interested which of you iphone users (or users to be) will be subscribing to the mobile me service?

personally for £60 a year i dont think its worth it, it basically just syncs your emails, contacts and calendar over the air instead of syncing in itunes doesnt it? i can see why epople would want it, but not me i dont think, unless it does more than i can see there..

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Experiment

When released next month though, I'm going to try an experiment:

- Add a work alias as a POP account to be received on one of my mobileme addresses so I can receive work emails through @me

- Set up the same POP account as an additional account in Mail and send all outgoing mails (work-related) as the POP account.

Theoretically this would resolve the issue of the @me.com, but not sure if it's worth me making sure that every mail I send out is via my POP account etc. (I'm assuming it's the same as Entourage where I have to switch the 'send from' account?)

Also, right now I'm able to view my employees' respective calendars and we can share/send/accept appts, but not sure how seamless mobileme is going to be in this regard.

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2008
Do you think that that is in the works (being able to give personal domain to your email account?) I recently purchased a domain and would love to have that as my email account.. even though i would have to go through the initial hassle of the switch i think it would be worth it in the long run.. im content with my @mac.com email.. but a personal one would be nice business wise. I'm sure apple has put some thought into this matter.. they recently added this to iweb with the '08 edition so maybe it's coming? Only time will tell, but i defiantly think that would do a lot to move people to mobile me.. my dad owns his own company of 20 works and I'm pretty sure he would jump at this if personal domain email was supported.. he doesn't like the whole exchange thing.. feels his office is too small for that and i agree. So hope apple will really push to get mobileme up and running flawlessly and then keep putting power behind it to make it a really great service. I've had .mac for a few years.. and i always thought, like most people, that it just wasn't what it should have been... but now with mobileme i can actually see where apple is heading with it and i must say it gets me excited about paying that $70 a year (on amazon! ;))

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
i played around with my domain, and added a email forward - iphone@mydomain.com to my user@mac.com account

(by email forward, i mean just a "pointer" from my domain to .mac, as opposed to setting up a full mail box.)

mail seems to come through properly, it says who the email is from initially (as opposed to saying its forwarded from iphone@mydomain.com)

i'm assuming i'll be able to set up all my email to be incoming in this manner, and as you suggest set up 2x outgoing mail servers, and be able to select the appropriate one when composing email (?)

i'm pretty sure the incoming mail will be fine, though not sure how my sent msgs/outbox and things will sync (doubtful they will work properly.)

better than paying for a managed exchange server though i suppose :)

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Hope so...

I hope that's the direction... $840/year vs. $70/year = bliss. :) I love the power of Exchange but you definitely pay for what you get. :( The pressure's on Microsoft (and providers) now though.

Do you think that that is in the works (being able to give personal domain to your email account?) I recently purchased a domain and would love to have that as my email account.. even though i would have to go through the initial hassle of the switch i think it would be worth it in the long run.. im content with my @mac.com email.. but a personal one would be nice business wise. I'm sure apple has put some thought into this matter.. they recently added this to iweb with the '08 edition so maybe it's coming? Only time will tell, but i defiantly think that would do a lot to move people to mobile me.. my dad owns his own company of 20 works and I'm pretty sure he would jump at this if personal domain email was supported.. he doesn't like the whole exchange thing.. feels his office is too small for that and i agree. So hope apple will really push to get mobileme up and running flawlessly and then keep putting power behind it to make it a really great service. I've had .mac for a few years.. and i always thought, like most people, that it just wasn't what it should have been... but now with mobileme i can actually see where apple is heading with it and i must say it gets me excited about paying that $70 a year (on amazon! ;))

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2008
(I'm assuming it's the same as Entourage where I have to switch the 'send from' account?)

Also, right now I'm able to view my employees' respective calendars and we can share/send/accept appts, but not sure how seamless mobileme is going to be in this regard.

Yes mail.app defiantly has the feature where you can pick where you send from.. the problem a lot of people have is the iphone doesn't so if you ever wanted to send an email from your iphone your going to have a problem. I've had some limited experience with .mac and what you want to do with your calenders and it worked well in my case. The whole thing is you would have to "subscribe" to your employees calenders and the appt. thing can defiantly be done... so if .mac did all of that i have to imagine mobileme will be atleast equivalent, but hopefully improved

To the OP it would be cool to have a poll about people who plan to subscribe to mobileme, i'd like to know how it's going over to the public

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Thx!

Thx for the info!

You're right about the iPhone, but generally I just monitor work emails on the phone but don't do much replying until i get back to the office so it'd work in my case. :) I guess when you're away from your own desktop or portable though, you're out of luck (e.g. you're at a friend's house and viewing your mail via the web browser) on responding to work emails, etc.

Still might be worth the cost in overall savings for me though. :)

Yes mail.app defiantly has the feature where you can pick where you send from.. the problem a lot of people have is the iphone doesn't so if you ever wanted to send an email from your iphone your going to have a problem. I've had some limited experience with .mac and what you want to do with your calenders and it worked well in my case. The whole thing is you would have to "subscribe" to your employees calenders and the appt. thing can defiantly be done... so if .mac did all of that i have to imagine mobileme will be atleast equivalent, but hopefully improved

To the OP it would be cool to have a poll about people who plan to subscribe to mobileme, i'd like to know how it's going over to the public

wakundama

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
No lag time email

What I'm looking forward to is instant email instead of waiting for my iPhone to check every 15 minutes. So then email works more like SMS or MMS which tends to offer instant send and receive but costs money. With push email you are better assured of instant email. I can't stand it when my wife sends me an email and I get home and she asks me did I see the email of the grocery list she sent me just as I was leaving the office.

With push email as soon as she sends an email I should hear an email alert rather immediately, when my iphone is in my pocket or lying on the passenger seat of the car, especially if she sends also through MobileMe email as well.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

I'm going to give it a try..

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
When released next month though, I'm going to try an experiment:

- Add a work alias as a POP account to be received on one of my mobileme addresses so I can receive work emails through @me

- Set up the same POP account as an additional account in Mail and send all outgoing mails (work-related) as the POP account.

Theoretically this would resolve the issue of the @me.com, but not sure if it's worth me making sure that every mail I send out is via my POP account etc. (I'm assuming it's the same as Entourage where I have to switch the 'send from' account?)

Not sure what you're trying to do here your "work alias" will be a @me.com email address anyway. I mean at least when sending messages from the web interface or from the iPhone

You can set up a pop account (unless it require authentification like Gmail or Google Apps) to get your messages but the from-line if not customizable unless if youjust use a client

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
I just wish they would allow domain substitutions (MX records being pointed to your own domain) so I can use it for our business emails (not very professional sending as user@me.com to clients. :(

Has this been confirmed anywhere ?

seems like a silly oversight if they really are offering it up as 'exchange' for the rest of us...

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
I am a road salesman and Mobile Me will be extremely useful. I for one cannot wait for the new iPhone 3G and Mobile Me. I will have both ASAP.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
There is a potential work-around. This works on current iPhone with dotMac. When adding a new account, instead of clicking the dotMac option, click on the 'other' option. Select IMAP and for incoming, put in your dotMac settings (mail.mac.com, etc). For your outgoing, put in your other account SMTP settings (for my test I put in Gmail). Make sure your name and address at the top match what you want. With those settings all my dotMac email goes to my inbox, but when I reply or send mail it gets sent from my Gmail address. So you can forward your Gmail (or whatever) to your dotMac. Now, I say potential work-around because who knows if this will work with MobileMe. In order to get the push functionality, maybe you'll have to set it up under the MobileMe button/option. If you manually set it up, maybe it won't push? Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Now, I say potential work-around because who knows if this will work with MobileMe. In order to get the push functionality, maybe you'll have to set it up under the MobileMe button/option. If you manually set it up, maybe it won't push? Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

Well, based on firmware screen shots, it seems like push can be there for any email depending if they had that functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.