Mobile Network Total Drop-Out (iP4)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tunster, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Tunster macrumors 6502

Just to throw this issue into the arena really. Ever since owning the iP4 from launch, I've had this odd issue that crops up every so often. I'm not doing anything (or identified an action) that's making the issue appear, but very randomly, the whole mobile network reception disappears!

I just get a continuous "searching..." in the top left. Wi-Fi gets used a lot at work and home to cut back on my data usage. This doesn't drop though, that's why I don't notice the mobile network dropping.

The only way I can resolve it is by turning off the phone and back on again. I've not tried re-initialising the network by using the menu to switch from manual to auto.

Anyone else had the same problems? Is it worth me contacting AppleCare?

2. Tunster thread starter macrumors 6502

3. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

That's not normal any way you hear it. I would first pop out the sim card and put it back in. A poorly seated card could cause problems. If that's not it, do Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings. If that doesn't work, try a restore. If that doesn't work take it to Apple and have them look at it.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

5. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

on the sim card there is a gold "thing" on the back, I'm not sure about the technical term for what it is called, is any part of that gold part supposed to touch the metal of the sim tray...if not could that cause some of the signal loss?

6. Tunster thread starter macrumors 6502

Knowing I've had to customise my SIM card from the original size (and my current network does not sell the iP4 at the moment! - so no microSIM available), that could be why. However I've had no SIM Card errors, so all a bit strange.

Dave: The guy who posted in that forum got the network name, but zero bars continuously. My iP4 went to "searching" wherever I was, so seemed like the phone service had crashed on the phone or something.

I'll give all those ideas a try and resit my SIM Card.

7. Aeroflux macrumors member

I live and work in an area that must be the Bermuda Triangle of the AT&T network, so a lot of wacky things happen (especially with the 3G iPhone, less so with the iPhone 4). This particular inicident (continuously searching for the network) happened to me just yesterday. I had to power down the phone and start it up again in order for the network to come up.

8. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Uh.....yeah, I'd almost be willing to bet a paycheck that it's the sim card then. Not to sound insulting, just that there was no shortage of threads about people who trimmed their original card down and missed the "sweet spot" by a hair and had problems so I'd consider it the most likely cause. Per the message above yours, the tray is metal but the part of the tray that the card contacts is non-conductive. It's not an issue.