Mobile phone contacts backup query

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snerkler, Feb 17, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

I've got an iphone 4 and backup my contacts to Microsoft Outlook on the PC (as well as icloud). I've just ordered a Macbook Pro so will be ordering a new copy of Microsoft Office for Mac, but as I never use outlook except to back up my contacts I thought I'd save myself £70 ($110) and get the Office version without outlook.

Obviously at the moment contact backup won't be a problem as I have it on icloud, but this is no good if one day I decide to upgrade my phone to something other than an iphone. When I've swapped phones in the past it's always been easy to transfer contacts as I just sync whatever phone I have to outlook. Is there a way on Macs (other than icloud), or some free/cheap software, that I can back up my contacts to my computer that I can then access with any phone? Or am I best to just pay the extra £70 to get office with outlook?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Just sync your macbook to icloud, and they'll be in address book there, you can export them as vcards/own format archive backup file from there if needbe.

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'm not overly familiar with vcards. I've just tried exporting them from icloud and when I click on the vcard it opens in Microsoft Outlook. Also, if I select all and export the vcard says it has all my contacts, but if I open it it only shows the first one, how do I get it to display all, or move onto the next contact? If you don't have outlook how do you get the vcard onto a phone?

Sorry for all the questions :eek:

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I can't spek for outlook, but the vcard file if all contacts were selected, will contain them all, can examine it in a text editor.

Most phones should be able to open a vcard file emailed to it their email client and add it to contacts, I'm sure there are other ways too.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a