Mobile phones...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrSmith, Jul 15, 2007.

1. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Anyone else look back with fondness to the days before the mobile phone curse?

Video

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My father had a big Motorola "beast". It cost around $1500 Canadian dollars. I don't even want to know how much monthly service cost.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thanks for posting that link. Definitely needed that smile this morning. :)

And I so wish that man on the cell had been my father. Argh. (Love the cellist, that cracked me up. Hehehe. I'm seriously giggling aloud just thinking about that.)

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That video was great, thanks for the link MrSmith! :D :)

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My dad had a cell phone for as long as I can remember. There is still one of his old ones sitting in the basement called the motorola microtac, its about the size of a small brick and has 2 speed dial buttons. He said originally with cell phones you would pay by the minute. We also had car phones in many of our cars.

When my dad had a Chevy Suburban and a StarTac it had a docking station in the car where you could then you a handset like a real telephone (Only skinnier and smaller and you dialed with the cell's keypad)

Cell phones are rather annoying though when people use them at inappropriate times. Or when people use speakerphone but don't need it because they are still holding the phone with one hand. And if your in a grocery store won't it just be harder for you and the person you are talking to hear. Nextel phones really annoy me with that walky-talky BLeeeEEEP

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Tell me about it, I would just love to slap the phone out of their hands when people do that. :D :cool:

7. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

I think the LR Disco 3 has a slot for your SIM card, so it becomes an big phone! I like the cell phones they use in CSI that are radios as well.

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Attached Files:

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I know that they have BlueTooth integration, you just pair the phone with the car as you would a phone and wireless headset. When you get a call you can pick it up by pressing a button on the dash or by using the phone.

I don't know about this SIM card thing you are talking about.

And all Nextel/Sprint BLEEeepers should be smacked in the face unless they are working on a job site or something. When you are at the grocery store, there is no need to be walky-talkying people, just use the PHONE function of your CELL PHONE. Isn't it a lot more convenient not having to press a button to talk. Same goes for those speakerphone people. Call me a New Englander but I wouldn't want everyone in a 30 foot radius hearing my cell phone conversations.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's actually cheaper to use the walkie talkie then to make a call. My parents use them, and it's actually kind of fun.:)

12. Raffles macrumors member

Not only that, but that technology (iDEN) is getting old. Apparently, Sprint's trying to get all their Nextel customers to their CDMA/EvDO.

K, let me fill you in:

>There are three main cell technologies in the world: GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications), which is used by about 80% of mobile phones. Then, there's CDMA (Code Division Multiple Acccess), which is essentially used by Sprint, Verizon, Alltell, Cricket, US Cellular, and MetroPCS. Finally, there's iDEN, which is used by Nextel, and that's about it.

>So, GSM is the biggest in the world, and at&t and T-Mobile use it here, btw. Beneath the battery of GSM phones is a SIM card. It tells the phone which signals to pick up, what your phone number is, and even your address book. It's about the size of a quarter. You can effortlessly move your SIM to another phone and all your network settings, tele number, and phone book is retained.

(Note to fellow phone geeks: I simplified this a lot, I know. So don't try and correct me! :mad: :p)