Mobile-Review article - iPhone as a phone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stella, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

2. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I thought all the people who were jealous because they couldn't afford an iPhone finally gave in when the price dropped. I didnt understand what he was saying about SMS. The SMS on the iPhone is the best I've used on any phone. As far as the phone function goes I have found it to be easier to use than other phones I have used. I dont understand why these people try to write articles with the intention of "proving" the iPhone is bad, what do they get out of it.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What I mostly got out of the article is that it takes longer to perform certain functions on the iPhone than it can on a "regular" phone. Funny thing is, "regular" phones don't have near as many capabilities. My Sony w600i may be able to call someone with two button presses but it really doesn't take much longer on the much more capable iPhone.

Reading the article reminds me of the good old, Windows vs. Apple debate. The author clearly wants so many options that it makes the device a pain to use (Word anyone?).

4. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

That just wasted 5 mins of my time... anyone that doesn't have 4 sec to make a call, shouldn't even have a phone. and further more u don't need to press all those keys. If your calling the same set of people , put them in your favorites and boom 1 touch dialing....so sick of these pointless reviews...by no means am I some fangirl but good grief.. even I am sick of all this..:cool:

5. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

He's wrong in several places (most notably that there actually ARE contact groups on the iPhone). But he is correct about earpiece volume, Apple should have taken care of this in 1.0.1. Also, no easy way to add ringtones, no sending of vCards over bluetooth, these are all things that the iPhone should have had right off the bat.

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

making mountains out of molehills.

picking fly poop out of sugar.

etc, etc...

This article is a WASTE OF TIME.

Dude has NO CLUE.

I want my 3 minutes back.

And I will never read another review from that site.

In some weird way, I think that they wrote the lame article with the email link at the bottom so we get pissed and write them, then they use the emails for SPAM. Don't do it.

7. alljunks macrumors regular

i dont think iphone is good as a phone..but good phone overall...

8. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I have to agree with the author about SMS messaging in certain aspects (no multiple recipients, MMS) but most of his points in this article are just "this takes 2 seconds on this phone but it takes 3 seconds on the iPhone!"

However, he has a few points (call volume) and the Apple fanboys really need to calm down. Just because somebody has criticisms about the iPhone doesn't mean that they're jealous; there are definitely problems with the iPhone that Apple must address and no amount of fanboy arguing can change that.

9. Amblinman macrumors regular

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I like the phone portion of my iPhone. I was prepared for a lesser experience considering all of the reviews. The phone screen is very clean, very easy to navigate. Calling from the address book is no more complicated than using a BlackBerry, which asks you which phone number to dial of a contact has multiple options. Also, conference calling on a BB is nowhere near as clean and neat as using the iPhone. Texting is just flat out cool. I'm so used to the keyboard now I can't imagine why anyone would find it difficult to adapt to. I don't often text multiple parties with the same message, so perhaps I'm just in the minority in not really missing that feature (although I absolutely understand why some want it).

Voice clarity and coverage vary from area to area - mine is fantastic.

Sure, there are some items that need attention - speaker volume, searchable contacts, etc. Otherwise, I don't get all the disparaging comments about the phone portion of the device. I really don't see where other devices, I've owned a Treo and a couple of BB's, offered a superior phone experience.

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

this guy is absolutely right. i am amazed time and time again how accepting you all are of apple. the phone on the iphone is mediocre. would you tolerate a phone from microsoft with no mms, ichat, voice dialing, usable speakerphone, and no flash on a browser? hell no! and dont even try to say you would. i miss calls all the time and alerts, i cant use my speakerphone at all, and when someone uses MMS, i have to log in to safari and switch back and forth between safari and sms because there is no copy and paste on the phone. it'ss ridicules. i wasnt angry because i thought for sure before leopard came out that apple would release updates that added some of these things, but so far i've gotten jack **** from apple. TV OUT? who is using their phone as a dvd player? wireless itune store? great, but this device needs a lot more before that.

it's a joke. apple could sell **** in a box and you goons would find something positive about it.

as a media device, it's wonderful. as a PHONE, it's below average.

11. njpodder macrumors regular

Really? This guy is arguing logistics over fractions of a second and multiple key presses? Haha! On my last phone, the keypad buttons became so warn from surfing around the menus, that by the time I upgraded, it would take both hands of pressure to press the zero button, and if I wasn't careful about how to press it, I would dial 1-8++ instead of 1-800. Personally, I feel the same way about the iphone that I feel about cars with windshield wipers on headlights. Fewer mechanical parts means fewer opportunities for something to break, which should mean a longer lasting device overall.

Besides, reviewing ONLY the phone function of the iPhone is kind of like reviewing ONLY the print feature on your HP all-in-one. Sure, it's a printer, but it's also a fax machine, copier, and scanner. Thus the title "all-in-one." Okay, stupid analogy, but I tried 3 or 4 first, and couldn't come up with anything better. The point here is this: The iPhone has never been marketed as a phone by itself. It is a multimedia device directed at people who would like to carry one device rather than a batman utility belt consisting of a cell phone, PDA, and mp3 player. "Is that a home office in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" Are there functions that could make the phone portion better? Sure!! Are there things that can make the iPod portion better? Sure!! But, as a consumer, am I satisfied with how well it performs all of its finctions both independently and as a whole? HELL YEAH! And then some!

/end rant

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

....and their next review will be for the Sony PS3 as a gaming machine... :p

13. powderblue17 macrumors regular

Actually if it came with a multi-touch user interface that was as user-friendly and great to use as the iPhones then yes I would let Microsoft get away with not having all those feature on day 1. If someone were to just drop a normal phone that didn't have those features then I would complain. So call me a fanboy if you want but I understand that the iPhone is a new platform and I will give praise to Apple for not being like every other phone maker who doesn't give a damn about usability and only wants to throw in as many mostly unused features as they can with their horrible user-interfaces.

14. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

You say you'd be forgiving if they didn't have those features on Day 1, however keep in mind there's very little Apple has actually officially committed to. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone and I love the interface, but I find myself switching between it and my Treo 750 simply because I'm torn between the two. This means the iPhone is lacking in several regards.

If Apple would come out and say "yes, there will be an SDK soon for 3rd party native apps on iPhone" a lot of people's minds would be put at ease, and I would be willing to bet their sales will go up even more. At this point, with no official word on if there will be official support for 3rd parties, it's pretty much up to Apple what you get on the iPhone, and they have not been forthcoming on what's coming, and have actually been really slow at implementing some basic features and fixing some basic functionality (like the in call and speakerphone volumes).

15. Amblinman macrumors regular

Have you ever considered that some of us just aren't having the issues you are? My speakerphone works just fine. Sure, I wish it were a little louder, but that doesn't mean it's inaudible or unusable. I've never missed a single call or an alert, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

I'm so tired of being called an Apple fanboy just because I like this device and don't find it deficient. I find the tag especially weird considering this is the only Apple device I even own. ;)