Mobile scratch disk decision

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zyr123, Nov 11, 2013.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

Which of the two mobile thunderbolt drives is the better scratch disk, the buffalo or laiCe 1 tb thunderbolt drive?

2. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

If it is just a scratch disk, why not the Lacie Rugged 120 GB SSD for the same price? Otherwise, seems a waste to have all that bandwidth connected to a 2.5 inch 5400 RPM HDD.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm looking at the exact same thing. 120GB is large enough to hold all the files I work with for one project and the SSD is much faster.

4. nateo200, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I have an Intel 520 180GB SSD that I've been using as a scratch drive for projects where my 1TB LaCie mini Rugged (with Thunderbolt) isn't fast enough, it gets anywhere from 70-120MB/s which is good but hardly saturating a Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 link since its not an SSD. My intel 520 was my boot drive in my old MacBook Pro so its gotten some use BUT even so over USB 3.0 I get nice performance. I connect it using a Seagate SATAIII to USB 3.0 adapter that came with my Seagate Back-up plus. Picture below.

For one project its PERFECT and when I need to capture video with my Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt it allows me to do so at up to 10-bit 4:2:2 uncompressed with ease (although for file size sake I stick to ProRes HQ), I only get 180-200MB/s read and write but its still great. Seagate also has a thunderbolt SATA adapter that does the same thing, I suppose you might be able to squeeze an extra 1.2Gbps if you have a very fast SATAIII drive :p :p Overall thunderbolt drives for single disks aren't worth it, only reason I got my LaCie mini rugged with thunderbolt was because I like to have options when I'm connecting a handful of external disks without a USB 3.0 hub. But brand wise I prefer LaCie, I have three of their rugged's and they are indeed rugged and reliable.

Attached Files:

5. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mobile scratch disk decision

Right but for projects that need may old events, Would the drive I use now be a bottle neck. it's a 750 gb g drive mini.

The footage is transcoded to full proress. Filmed on a cannon vixia m500 at full mxp. And a go pro 2 usually At 720 60 fps.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yes if the content isn't on the SSD then it obviously won't benefit from the speed increase really. You can copy old events to a new drive, I do it all the time.