Mobile Spying

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tmatthews14, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tmatthews14 macrumors regular

I dont know how many of you have seen sites like... this one:

http://www.mobile-spy.com/

That give cell phone owners a way to spy on their kids, or employee's, or whatever...

here's a link that explains how it works:
    http://www.mobile-spy.com/howitworks.html

so. I was wondering if there was a way (especially on a jailbroken phone) to find out if your phone is being monitored? and if there is a way to block it, or remove the program. The site says it leaves hardly any traces. But there is something, obviously.

Does anybody know anything more about this kind of mobile spying?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It can't be hidden on JB phone since you have access to file system.

But, what are you doing that has you worried ? :rolleyes:

3. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, thats what I figured, where would it be installed it if was on my phone?

Honestly I am not doing anything that I should be worried about. I just think sites like these are completely "invasion of privacy" kind of things. I only ask because I have seen my dad on that website, so I just wanted to know if its me he's spying on :) Im actually just more interested in how it works.

So, any idea where a program like this would be installed?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm thinking he wants to make sure the wife isn't watching him. Why else would someone care?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Mr. Matthews (14 yrs old?) wants to make sure Dad isn't spying on him ?

And if your Dad is spying on you, I'm not gonna tell you how to find the app.

@aggie
    Since it's Mr. Matthews Dad, I'm not gonna comment on your idea.

6. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

No. No. No. Close. But No.
    I'll explain.
    I am 22, NOT 14.
    I have a serious girlfriend, so that'd make it Mr. and Mrs. Matthews.... almost.

But, I have very shy parents (for lack of a better word) who want to know everything going on in my life, but sometimes are just afraid to ask. So... I can understand why mobile spying would be a lot easier than asking me. Plus, they love and care about me soooooooo much they just want to make sure I'm staying out of trouble with my future wifey. So I dont blame them.
    Aaaaand... I am on a family plan with my parents, because family plans are so much cheaper than a single line.

Get it?
    That's a little better than just a 14 year old hiding his sext messages from his father, right? ;)

EDIT: hahaha i get the 14 year old thing now.
    t matthews(you got that one) 14(??)
    try the first name... see if you can get it.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Too much info. OK tmatthews14, all is good!

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wow

If your 22 and mommy & daddy need a little talking to that your a big boy now. Serouly at 22 you shouldn't have to wonder if dad's watching you.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, time to move out of Mommy and Daddys shelter....

10. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree... but there's not much I can do about it right now.
    Anyways... anyone know where this mobile spy file would be installed to? :)

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

12. jtara macrumors 65816

If you have jailbroken your phone and have installed jailbroken apps, I think you have to assume that you DO have spyware installed. Period.

If you haven't jailbroken your phone, the spyware potential is very much limited. Areas of concern would be:

- Address book - the iPhone does not protect against apps accessing your address book. Any app can read/write the address book. Apps are supposed to disclose that they do so and send that data elsewhere, but some apps have slipped-through that do and have been discovered after being released on the app store.

- Location - the potential here is more limited, because the OS automatically prompts the user for permission the first few times a location-aware app is used. Again, here, the app developer is supposed to disclose if the location data is being sent-off elsewhere, but the app store approval process doesn't necessarily catch all violations.

Since non-jailbroken apps can't run in background, and can't access other app's files, the potential is much less on a non-jailbroken phone.

Android takes a more granular and restricted approach to permissions. For example, Android requires that you give permission for any app that is going to access your address book.

I think it's bizarre that iPhone users (myself included) take such a caviler attitude about address book access. We really should be up in arms about this. I would not object at all to a "this application wants (read/write) access to your Address Book..." popup like we have for location.

13. foob macrumors 6502

foob

It is installed through Cydia under the name "Retina-X".

(edited to add:) A little more info, it installs com.ms.msd.plist and com.ms.mslocd.plist in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, and msd and mslocd in /usr/libexec. It's package name is com.ms.msd. You could look for that or Retina-X in /var/lib/dpkg/status. If it's in that file, it's installed.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Since you say in another thread that you are about to sell your phone, I guess it's a moot point. Or perhaps you are just a troll.

15. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, this is getting ridiculous. I ONLY wanted to know where the file was installed, and if it was detectable on jb phones. Just to know for future reference.

16. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

Didnt find any of those... I guess I'm clean :D
    Thanks for the info

17. alexsam macrumors newbie

Best Mobile Spy

I would like to share one link that helps you a lot because there you will found many Mobile Spy app/software for any brand and model. mobilespysoft.com