Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigticket77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Ok so I am not techy, but I went ahead and jailbroke my iphone.
I want to be able to use skype without having to be in wifi area and any other cool things I come across.

I read I need to download a mobile substrate update..but no idea where to find it..i looked in cydia but cant find it...any ideas?

Also..now that I have jailbroke my phone, what if i want to restore my phone to what it was like before, in case I need to take it into apple. I updated my phone to v3.1.3, am I buggered? and can I still plug my phone into sync with my macbook? have not been able to get definitive answers to these questions, so just wanted to get some info.

thanks in advance

Guitar7272

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
Ok so I am not techy, but I went ahead and jailbroke my iphone.
I want to be able to use skype without having to be in wifi area and any other cool things I come across.

I read I need to download a mobile substrate update..but no idea where to find it..i looked in cydia but cant find it...any ideas?

Also..now that I have jailbroke my phone, what if i want to restore my phone to what it was like before, in case I need to take it into apple. I updated my phone to v3.1.3, am I buggered? and can I still plug my phone into sync with my macbook? have not been able to get definitive answers to these questions, so just wanted to get some info.

thanks in advance

Mobile substrate is a dependency of many jailbreak apps. Just download something like SB Settings or winterboard and it will be installed automatically.

You can backup your phone like normal and then just restore through itunes to go back to jail. I believe 3.1.3 just kills the unlock, so if you don't need it then you should have no problem. Yes you can sync normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.