Mobile Terminal

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by oryp28, Jun 1, 2010.

1. oryp28 macrumors newbie

So I have this running, and I try to edit or make some file, but nothing works, vi fails, etc. Any way to edit files? Thanks.

2. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Use iFile

3. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

+1

Terminal is handy, but iFIle is much easier IMO

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

iFile is a good choice, or if you are on a local network you can SSH in with a client (I use WINSCP for windows). If you are a Mac, there are options there as well.

5. oryp28 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Two separate ways to get to file system. IFile is just easier to work with.

7. oryp28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks. Any way I can do it while in Terminal, though?

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well, for starters we have no idea what specific change you are trying to make. Juts buy iFile, its infinitely easier. This is especially true if youa re unfamiliar with command line.

9. oryp28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. The change I'm trying to make -- I'm really not sure yet, I'm only wondering if there's any way to edit from command line. I don't really want to pay for iFile, and I'd rather edit in terminal anyway, if possible.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

iFile is useful in so many ways its not even funny and I can't imagine having a JBen phone without it.

You can edit certain things in Terminal, like setting permissions, changing file names, copying and deleting files, but you can not do things like editing plists.

You can practice in Terminal on your computer, but you have a learning curve ahead of you.

11. oryp28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to use terminal, but regular stuff like emacs, nano, vi, etc. doesn't seem to work. Basically, I want to create a file on my phone and transfer it to a computer, while not near said computer --s o my best course of action would be to edit or make the file on my phone using iFile, and then transfer it to another site using terminal (ssh user@myhost)