Mobile to Mobile SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMacZealot, Sep 16, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I got my iPhone about a week ago, and I love it.

I only have the $20/month plan with 200 SMS. I don't know how many texts I've sent this month because I'm still in the first billing cycle (so they won't tell me), but I have a feeling it's either now passed 200 or will soon.

I mostly text my sister, my dad, and this girl, and they're all on at&t. Do the messages I've sent to them not charge me, or are they pulled from my SMS bucket like if I texted anyone else on another carrier?

Thanks!

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I think you can add unlimited mobile-to-mobile for $5 a month but I'm not 100% on that.

If that is the case, then I would assume that without it, each text is pulled from your 200 allotment.

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

4. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yikes! Say it ain't so...

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Not in your first billing cycle. I also used some sort of punch-in code on my iPhone that should've texted me the stats, but I got the same "wait until second billing cycle for us to tell you" like on mywireless.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

sorry, it's so.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Thats right.I forgot.
    Hopefully you don't go over.I'd at least call someone at AT&T if you're really concerned about a big bill.But I thought I read somehere that mobile to mobile calls were free.Maybe the SMS between AT&T customers is the same ? :confused:

8. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I believe you can just type *3282# and hit send. I think they enabled that feature. I just switched my plan so its not registering for me yet. But I believe it works.

9. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Damn. At least now I'm humming Weezer.

I didn't know about the $5 M2M addon. My entire family is now on at&t, and it'd be great if we could just do $20 iPhone plans with $5 M2M instead of springing for 1500.

I hadn't really realised I've been texting so much. When I had t-mobile a month ago, I was only sending about 100, but I think I've gone over 200 this week.

10. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That was my thinking; that if you get unlimited calls to at&t, you get unlimited SMS. I've been seeing a ton of at&t billboards lately, and I want to say that it says that, but I'm not sure.

I tried that, and it doesn't work in the first billing cycle.

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

It's worth it if you text at all, because you really don't want to go over. I had to shell out $7.10 because I went over my 200 and this is coming from someone who does not text very much at all.

I upgraded to 1500 for another $10.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you consistently go over your 200 texts but don't go over enough, it might still be worth it not to upgrade to the 1500 text plan.

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Right, seeing as I paid $7.10 not $10 and now I have to pay $10 whether I use it or not.

You're right on the mark there.

I did it more because I saw I was going over early. That $7.10 isn't even a whole month's worth of overage because about halfway through august I added the additional texts and asked them to prorate it from that point.

The total overage would have been much higher than $7.10 had I not added on more texts.

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Come to think of it, I don't think I know anybody I text who isn't on at&t. If $5 is all, then I'd do it.

15. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

You can always add it then change it later.

For $5 a month I think you're right to try it given your situation.

16. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I think I also my downgrade my dad from 1500 to 200+M2M because he too only sends to at&t and barely sends enough to justify a 1500 SMS plan.

I may even do it for my brother too. We're all doing an analysis of the bill at the end of the month because our entire family of seven made a massive move to at&t.