Mobile/ travel Video on an iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techFANboy, Apr 27, 2011.

1. techFANboy, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

techFANboy macrumors newbie

Hey guys i'm new to the forums but I figured i'd start with a bang!

I have been planning a camping trip with my family, we are not going too far away so i will be within EDGE/3G coverage and wanted to bring some type of device to play a movie on after the kids went to bed, that i could project on the side of the our tent... I wanted something small, lightweight, battery powered and simple... something that made it easy to bring camping or the next time i went on a filght....

After doing a little research i had given up on the idea mostly because of price. (i could not justify spending $200.00+ on another gadget... haha)

then i came across the aaxa P1Jr. pico "Pocket" projector. and after reading the specs and the price i jumped on it. and for only $109 I was pretty impressed. :) :) :)

any I had some time to kill at work and wanted to test it out before we left this weekend. So, here's my shot at a more formal review. (i'll try to to be too biased cause i love this thing!!)

The Packaging was fairly simple, Nothing too crazy like any of the packaging that apple has, but we all know that that HA!
    [​IMG]
    once out of the packaging i was REALLY impressed with how tiny this pico projector was!!! it is about the same dimensions as the iphone but about twice as thick! this can easiy fit in ou breifcase, backpack or as the title says you pocket!

on to the set up...

It has a 2.5mm A/V input in the back along with an SD card slot and a MINI USB port that you can use to access the on board media player... but i wanted to hook my iphone4 up so i went straight for that!
    [​IMG]

it it all attaches super easy and really concise...
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

all i did was use the 2.5mm>3.5mm cable that comes with it and hook that up to my USB/AV adapter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the brightness is only 10 Lumens so i had to have the room pretty dark, but i was also projecting the screen to be about 45-55inches... if you go closer it works really REALLY well in fairly dim light, but you'd want to keep the projection screen about no more than 20-25 inches...

After getting it all hooked up i went straight for netflix. I didn't want to post any pics of the actual screen use cause my iphone camera makes them look so much worse than they are. The colors were pretty vivd and the screen res. pretty impressive as well!!

I found a pretty good you tube video of so you could get an idea of the acctual quality... HERE

Anyway i loved it! i would rate it about a 7.5-9 out of 10 this was mostly because of the fan being a little too loud for my liking. but it is only around 100?!?! :)

Though, we planned on using headphones anyway so it was not that big of a deal! I would recommend it for some fun travel use, but it is definitely not a replacement for a TV....

2. techFANboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thoughts?

anyone else find a good pico projector?