mobile tv and iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbendrao, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mbendrao macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

i need a little help from you guys.
    i live in portugal and i'm (seriously) considering buying an iPhone 3G.
    is it true that it lacks support for mobile tv? will this be solved?
    not that it's going to be a decisive factor, but i'd sure like to be able to watch tv on the iPhone, plus, considering the iPhone target audience, i would guess i'm not alone.

thanks

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

iPhone isn't for you. Get a Nokia or WINMO.

3. GottaLoveApple4 macrumors member

Yes the iPhone can do mobileTV...

The iPhone is capable of doing mobileTV through a program called Orb. It works on Macs and PCs. All you have to do is have a tuner connected to your computer and the software running and you can have every TV channel you pay for at home on-the-go. It works very well.

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

So can I get like an EyeTV and hook up to an iMac and stream from my connected DirecTV reciever?

5. y0m0uth macrumors regular

yes am interested in how this orb thing works too...

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

Visit orb.com, they know more than anyone. I can tell you that it works great and, in addition, you can stream out all kinds of video and audio files and, using uSirius, you can also stream Sirus. Assuming you have an account. It's for PC but there are also test servers, I believe, for Mac and Linux. You'll also need a tuner of some sort if you want to watch live tv. I use it quite a bit.

7. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

not a directv receiver, it will just play stuff from your computer. Like you have a movie on your computer, it will just stream it form your computer to iphone.

8. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

This is not true. It does both. You can connect the satellite receiver to a video capture device on your computer and use an IR transmitter set up in front of the box to change the channel.

9. markgamber macrumors 6502

Indeed, not true at all. I actually have Orb. I use it every day. I doubt this poster knows what it is and is just running up his post count like that asshat CocoaPuffs. I have my server hooked to a Comcast cable box, a satellite receiver is no different.

10. Aurial macrumors 6502

Probably not. I fairness Orb has been around for quite a long time and both iPhone support and TV support are fairly recent additions to it. Up until then you could only stream from your computers. I only found out myself that it did TV several weeks ago.

11. markgamber macrumors 6502

iPhone yes, live tv no. It's been around forever. I remember using it years ago, before Slingplayer existed. Besides, the point is that I'm getting really tired of these bullsh*t posts. You could ask what's 1+1 on this site and get a dozen different answers, plus some douchebag telling you it's none of your business and a half dozen pointing to some google search.

12. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

So true. I'd be apprehensive about posting a question here if I had one. I'd have to worry about:

1. Getting false info.
    2. Being Flamed (is that the right word?) for asking something I should have known or searched for

I do get tired of seeing people posting the same questions over and over again, but at this point I feel like its easier just to answer someone's question than get into an argument about how they should've searched first.

13. Be.Jammmin macrumors newbie

Personally, I don't have a "real" tuner installed on my PC, I instead have a virtual tuner running in conjunction with my Hava Box (similar to a Sling Box but better, see www.myhava.com) With both of those running on my PC in conjunction with Orb, I am able to watch all of my Dish Network Channels and record as well.

The Orb forums as well as the Hava forums can provide details on installing.

B