Mobile TV (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greggio, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Greggio macrumors newbie

So, Sky TV offers a mobile TV thing where you can watch Sky Sports on your mobile for only £5 a month. But it's only offered on Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone.

I reckon it's be relatively watchable on the iPhone screen.

Anyone know why 02 users can't get this? Any rumours that it might be coming?

2. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Sky must be daft not to have something in the pipeline with O2.

3. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Never seen the appeal of watching TV on my phone...thats why I have a TV.

4. TranceNW macrumors regular

I think with the introduction of the 3G, its more than possible.
    Only issue i can see is battery life.

Edit: Also O2's T&C's say no streaming. Guess these could be ammended though.

5. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Say you're out shopping with the missus on a Saturday afternoon and your team has a 3 pm kick off . . . Sky Sports on the iPhone would be handy. Or say you're a student in poor student digs and TV + Sky is too much of a hassle but you want to catch your footy live. Mobile TV is inexpensive and fills the gap.

A good idea imo.

6. Greggio thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually

it says you can't use it for "continuous" streaming - any video you watch on Youtube is streamed.

I think the term "continuous" is intended to stop stuff like a friend of mine told me about (he worked for Vodafone NZ) - someone bought to video capable handsets on an "unlimited" data plan and was using it 24/7 as a video-streaming baby monitor.

Watching something here and there is quite different to that - which is sort of taking the Michael, a bit.

7. Greggio thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually

it says you can't use it for "continuous" streaming - any video you watch on Youtube is streamed.

I think the term "continuous" is intended to stop stuff like a friend of mine told me about (he worked for Vodafone NZ) - someone bought two video capable handsets on an "unlimited" data plan and was using it 24/7 as a video-streaming baby monitor.

Watching something here and there is quite different to that - which is sort of taking the Michael, a bit.

8. Greggio thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually

I think the term "continuous" is intended to stop stuff like a friend of mine told me about (he worked for Vodafone NZ) - someone bought two video capable handsets on an "unlimited" data plan and was using them 24/7 as a video-streaming baby monitor.

9. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Can't see them doing live TV - you would need a TV license which means all kinds of paperwork when selling the service.

10. TranceNW macrumors regular

By "Continuous" i think they mean an actual stream. Youtube on the iPhone is not streamed, it is infact downloaded.

A "continuous" stream would be something like the Tuner application on the app store or indeed, mobile tv.
    However, O2's stance on the Tuner app is unclear and i think you will be fine as long as you don't over do it.

11. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

There is no practical difference between streaming and downloading - the same amount of data still gets downloaded, except one starts playback whilst its still downloading and one downloads everything first. And I'm pretty sure the Youtube client streams.

12. TranceNW macrumors regular

Couldnt agree more, but were discussing the language used in O2's T&C's regarding "continuous streaming".
    To me there is no practical difference, but i'm just pointing out that O2 will not allow "continuous streaming", and so their stance on mobile tv is questionable.

13. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

IANAL, but unless O2's T&Cs explicitly define "continuous streaming" then I don't really know they can enforce it. It's fairly ambiguous. To me, "continuous" means never-ending. Therefore, if I was to stream a 1 hour TV show over BBC iPlayer on 3G (if it was possible) then I've only streamed for 1 hour. Would this be any different to a regular download that took 1 hour to complete? How would they distinguish the two?

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seeing as on Sky you can download videos etc, if you could get the iPhone to natively play those files, you'd have an alternative route.