Mobile version of webpages?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vitog123, Sep 15, 2009.

1. vitog123 macrumors 6502

hi all
    How can i stop my phone from displaying these and instead go to the real version?

Espn.com for example? i type espn.com and it bring up some crappy mobile version. if i scroll down to the bottom of the page and click a espn home link it takes me to the real page? how can i skip that step? also, for other popular pages?

thanks

2. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Try this exactly... http://espn.go.com

EDIT: Forgot the big part, click on the ESPN.com Link at the bottom. Most sites will have the option at the bottom to change sites.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Some will allow you to type in the actual url of the normal site.

Others force you to view the mobile versions. The actual page has a script that detects what your viewing from and it makes it more difficult to get around.

4. vitog123 thread starter macrumors 6502

it doesnt work until i click on the link at the bottom...

5. vitog123 thread starter macrumors 6502

why do they force you to see mobile versions? thats pretty lame... it seems like at&t wwould be the people to do that.. less data moved..

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

They didn't read your question.

I don't believe there is any way to skip that step. Sorry.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You don't think ESPN would want to minimize the amount of data transferred from them to AT&T?

8. MasterDev macrumors 65816

One: Less bandwidth consumed.

Two: Faster loading for the user.

9. vitog123 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks all..

i went to all the pages i frequently go to and copied the link at the bottom of the pages and turned them into bookmarks... its either labeled on the page as "full page version" or "desktop version" for anyone else that wants to try it.

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Three: not all phones display websites as well as the iPhone.

11. dlemmon macrumors regular

I think there's also a class of phones that doesn't have "real" internet like the iPhone made it big with. They have only mobile web capabilities. Also like other people have stated it probably helps lessen bandwidth (although loading the mobile one then the real one probably cancels some of the savings)

12. thelordnyax macrumors regular

i wonder this when there are mobile version of websites that don't have an option to switch to the full version...like vh1.com

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

In the case of smartphones, it's not AT&T that decides what you see.

It's whoever did the website. To get repeat visists, they want it to be quick and easy to use, even over low speed connections.

Ironically, quite often the person coding the site has an iPhone, and wanted to make a special version for it that looks more iPhone-ish.

All devices send a User Agent string with every request. The site looks at that to see which pages to serve up. While some other browsers let you change that User Agent to spoof the site, iPhone's browser does not.

The usual way around it is to look for the "Full Site" link, and to bookmark that page.

However, some sites check the user agent on every page, and always force you to a mobile page. Write them via their feedback link, nicely let them know that it's not what you want to see, and ask that a permanent full page link be provided. Many sites have changed because of such requests.

14. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Bookmarking the full page is the only way I found that works.

Ugh, I know, Facebook and MySpace are horrid about that. And i just checked vh1.com, very annoying with out a "full site" link.