Mobile Web App

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ACagliano, May 10, 2012.

1. ACagliano macrumors newbie

First off, hi. I just joined the community. A bit about myself... I'm an active web developer and software developer for Texas Instruments calculators. Actually, this topic is related to that.

My skills... html, css, and z80 assembly (for TI). I am also a novice at C++.

Purpose: I am looking to build a mobile website viewer app for iOS-running mobile devices. The website I wish to emulate is clrhome.org, a website owned by a friend of mine, and co-administrated by us both.

Tools: I currently have a Macbook Pro, running OS X Lion. I have XCode 4.3 installed, which comes with Dashcode and Interface Builder and iOS Simulator.

Question: This is the first time I have attempted to build an app of any kind, so I am kind of lost as to how to set myself up. What do I do? Do I need C++ or can I get on without it? Any help/instructions I can get would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are building a web app then that's what it is: an application hosted on the web that runs in a browser. As such you need no Mac specific tools or languages.

3. ACagliano, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

ACagliano thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I've seen web apps for sites like tribal wars, okcupid, and YouTube. And they can only be used for that specific site. And I would think that they are a little different than programming, say a mobile version of safari. And, I have no clue how to even set myself up in Xcode.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Those are not web apps. Those are native applications that provide access to the same back-end features that can also be accessed by a web app.

I would suggest your read the stickies at the top of this forum aimed at people looking to start iOS development.

5. ACagliano thread starter macrumors newbie