Mobile websites ruin web use on iphone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Illinoisemakers, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Illinoisemakers macrumors member

I am a big sports fan and am always checking ESPN.com, but in the last week or so every time I go to their site I get redirected to their mobile site. Is there anyway to avoid that?

Does ESPN think there doing me a favor by taking me to the mobile site. The whole point of using the web on my iphone is that it's the "real" internet. Anyone know how to get around this? Thanks!

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

If the site is sniffing the browser type and redirecting based on that, there's little you can do to change that. You may want to write to the webmaster of the ESPN site and ask them to make the mobile version of the site optional so you can view either one.

3. Illinoisemakers thread starter macrumors member

4. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I think only espn.com redirects you to the wireless site. Just bookmark or go to espn.go.com.

5. aphexii macrumors 6502

Had the same problem with a local TV news site. Sent them an e-mail and sure enough, while it still sends you through to the mobile site, they added a link on the bottom to load the real full site.

Worth a shot!

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

yell.com is even worse; not only does it force you onto their 'mobile version' of the results page, but when you click the 'get full version FREE!' link it says 'your mobile is not supported' - I mean it's supposed to be the FULL version, they don't need to 'support' any particular mobiles!

7. pj rage macrumors 6502

I've found a few that do this. Some do offer a link to the "real" page, but some don't. Bank of America is one that defaults to a mobile version, but I can't remember if it offers the link to the full version or not. I also found it annoying, I wish there was something you could do to force it to open the "real" page.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Just scroll to the bottom of the page and hit the ESPN.com button. (See the pic) it'll take you to ESPN.

Attached Files:

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I actually like the mobile version of espn. I use it alot. Like espn, FoxNews has the same link at the bottom of the page.

Attached Files:

10. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

you have GOTTA love the IMPORTANT headlines on Fox News

11. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I normally hate mobile versions of websites but I actually perfer and grown to adore the digg mobile page! It loads so fast and very smooth. I hate the digg app btw

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, gotta have your priorities. ;) That was at the bottom of the page. Here is what is at the top.

Attached Files:

13. trunksu macrumors 6502

i actually like the mobile version of ESPN since it's super quick to load and you can see the top headlines fast and scores/podcasts (love the ability to stream podcasts)