MobileChat 3.1 Update Released!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TheSpaz, Oct 2, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

2. FLAVAH macrumors member

uh huh. i dont even need to say anything.

Attached Files:

3. kevin512 macrumors member

kevin512

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

This made me chuckle.

4. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Seriously - why are people still giving this app a chance? It still doesn't work 100%, and the developers are still using the same excuses they've had for the last 6 weeks (updating servers, etc.).

Just go with Beejive -- it works. Heck, even the free Palringo still works better!

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have switched to BeeJive, but I already bought MobileChat so I figured I'd give this free update a half-a-chance. Plus, I kinda like the SMS Notifications in MobileChat vs. the Email notifications in BeeJive. I have Unlimited SMS, so I should be all set. Besides, SMS requires no data connection whereas email requires EDGE, Wifi or 3G.

7. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Err MobileChat doesn't do anything special with the SMS notifications but just relies upon Yahoo and AIM's SMS features that you can use with any IM client, they don't send SMS notifications themselves.

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oh... in that case, I already have it. Why the heck do the developers of MobileCrap even write code anymore? Shouldn't they just give up?

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Who do you have your unlimited texts with? If AT&T then just set your email address in Beejive for notifications to your10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net, T-Mobile has a similar feature available, tmail or something like that.

PS. that sends the 'emails' as texts instead.

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The thing is, I don't really like BeeJive's look. I like MobileChat's look.

Besides, I think beta testers are on a separate server which means no server overload. I heard that theirs is working perfectly.

11. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

They are limited to distributing 100 copies via adhoc distribution, which is what they would have to use for beta testing and well yeah that isn't very many users to go by especially when they supposedly did similar beta testing prior to the original release. How on earth did those beta testers not find any of the problems experienced? Especially all of the ones that weren't server load related?

12. dranakin macrumors 6502

You know, as long as I have been waiting for MC's update, I have come to the realization that it isn't going to solve all of the problems of the application - just as many problems with it are with the host servers. The way the developers shut its customers up is also a factor:

Beejive: Game over, MC.

13. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

This sucks bc the texts come in HTML format. Just use MobileMe or Exchange and they're instant and look good.

14. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Err no they don't at least not on AT&T, Beejive send a multipart email so it is available in both text and html, AT&T sends the text part as a SMS, which Beejive has shortened to be SMS friendly.

15. ijohnw macrumors regular

I believe this little IM War is over...beejive has won hands down...

Mobilechat had their chance and I can't even log in via Mobile Chat today after updating...i give up on them

16. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Maybe they chose the wrong beta testers...what if they chose people who don't use it that much and instead, lied that they did in order to get it for free? (keeping in mind that when they chose beta testers, that was before App Store...when MobileChat was the thing to wait for and not beejive)

The reason why Beejive hasn't fully won is because of pricing. MobileChat still has thousands of users signed in everyday and working (it works most of the time for me, but I chose Beejive cause of my dependance on a stable IM). Most people are experiencing problems...but a lot aren't.

17. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

SMS must require SOME sort of connection.. and even if it didn't - then what would it be alerting you to? If you weren't on EDGE, Wifi or 3G then you wouldn't be connected to MobileChat to get a message.

18. kevin512 macrumors member

kevin512

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Well that's about all you can do with MC. Is "look" at it.

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Depends. For me, I've been fortunate enough where MobileChat works most of the time (same amount as Beejive). Course it can't keep me on for 24 hours yet (supposed to , but server problems) which is why I got Beejive.

20. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

SMS requires a cell connection but, not a DATA connection... meaning EDGE, 3G and Wifi could be DEAD and you could still send and receive SMS messages. Also, MobileChat stays connected REMOTELY so you actually wouldn't need a data connection on the iPhone if you were already connected to MobileChat.

Last night I had all 5 bars for a cell connection but, I didn't have an EDGE, 3G or GPRS logo on the screen.... I was able to send and receive SMS messages.

21. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Why is nobody talking about IM+? Doesn't it suffice?

22. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

However, if you're international, then email is a ton better because sms notifications can pile up on the bill whilst email through Wi-Fi is free.

And even if you receive SMS notifications when those three are dead, you can't reply until you get one of those because you need to reconnect to MobileChat.

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Still doesn't work. Glad I have beejive. It worked on the first try.

24. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

No.

It crashes way too much.
    So they are still fixing servers..... wow.... :\ who wants to bet it's just lies!!!! :D

25. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Hmm I haven't had IM+ crash yet.