MobileMe 5GB account?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by andiwm2003, Jul 27, 2009.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

There is a number of very cheap 5GB MobileMe subscriptions on ebay. Supposedly you have to wait till your current contracts expires and then the set you up with a 5GB account for $22 per year.

I never heard of this deal and I can't see it on Apples site. Is that for real or is it some scam where someone lets you share in their family pack?

Anyway, since MobileMe sucks I think about ending my subscription anyway but if there was a cheap way to keep the email for a while longer I might do it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-MobileMe-...ware?hash=item27aa77f095&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I haven't heard of this. It sounds like a scam to me.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you search you will find a few topics on this and namely I can recall two I responded to.

The sub accounts being sold on eBay are in violation of the MM TOS. You cannot sell any part of the service at any time. The master account will be controlled by someone you do not know, if you want to risk that alone then fine. However, just know that no matter how safe they say it is, some ***** can easily disable your account with the click of a mouse button.

Buyer beware. Besides being against TOS it is just a bad idea overall.
    Think this one through.

Edit: threads that I responded to earlier on. http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-707466.html
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=742826

And for MM's TOS:

4. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thanks, that explains it.

as far as I can see the only way to take that risk is for accounts that you want to give up anyway and all you want is keeping the email alive for another year. and even then it's a bad idea because somebody else has control over your old email.

so the cheapes way to get mobileme is to buy a retailbox via ebay or amazon for around $70.

i really have to think if mobileme is worth 70 buck form me.

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

It's on sale for $58 on amazon right now :D

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not only is it on sale but it is worth the $58-$70 to me now with the find my iphone feature.

Having some dbag have control over my account is never worth the savings.

7. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

:confused:
    that sounds tempting.

thanks

uh...they sell on amazon a old version for $58 and a updated 2009 version for $99. afaik there should be no difference.

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

It looks like the only difference is the box. It was updated in like June or something so I think amazon is selling the old ones :)

9. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Dont do it it is a sub account they can delete it any time and resell it happened to me:(

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Also check the marketplace on here. Quite often some will pop up for $50.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod