MobileMe: Address Book<>iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrSingh, Jun 8, 2010.

1. MrSingh macrumors regular

iPhone 4 will be my first iPhone when I buy it later this month but t I have owned a Mac and a Dell mini 10v hackintosh for a while so I’m very reliant on OSX apps like Mail, Address Book, Calendar etc.

am I wrong in assuming that iOS4 (is that the new name :) does not support, via MobileMe, the syncing of contact filters that are set-up in Address Book? So in other words the hundreds and hundreds of business contacts I have placed in Address Book, many of whom I will very rarely if ever want to phone or email from my iPhone (mainly email most of them and record notes regarding them), will ALWAYS be listed when I flick through contacts on my iPhone? Pls tell me I am wrong because I can see that becoming VERY annoying.

Seriously, if that’s the case, Steve needs to fire a few people…in the iOS4 and MobileMe departments. Lol. I mean c’mon – you can find your iPhone via MobileMe but you can’t have filters synced across your Mac and iPhone?!

Somebody pls tell me I have it seriously wrong. I even emailed Jobs about this but I guess I’m one of the unlucky thousands whose emails get ignored; just emailed him again and will hope that given he is probably hanging-out at WWDC, somehow this time it will resonate, as it ‘pings’ on his iPhone….hopefully whilst he is discussing iOS4’s ‘great features’ with developers, in a focus group! Lol

Rant officially over.

2. MrSingh thread starter macrumors regular

I thought others would be bothered by this - obviously not :)

So how are those of you with lots and lots of contacts finding it when you have to scroll through them or would you say that you most often use the search feature?

I gues I will know how annoying it is when I get my iP4 around 24/6/10....

3. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

If I do not want to call you, then your number will not even be on my computer!! :cool:

4. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I know that there are some 3rd party apps that allow groups of contacts, but I do not think they are allowed in the stock address book

5. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

I have used mobile me since it came out with all of my iphones and computers.

What you do is create groups.

Family, Friends, Business etc..
    Put those people in groups... its that easy..

this way you don't have to scroll though so many contacts.
    And you always have them on hand in the rare event you need one of them.

6. GeeLuv macrumors newbie

Yep this is how I do it

I have thousands of contacts and I've broken them up into groups using "Contacts" every bit of formatting I make on any of my computers or iPhone comes over perfectly. Some lists are long but you can tap the letter on the side to jump to that contacts alphabetical reference. It's usually just a tap or two and I've got what I'm looking for.

7. Hovey macrumors regular

I agree....making groups works rather well. If you want you can keep your contacts on a certain group and you never have to see names in the other groups unless you select that group specifically.

8. MrSingh thread starter macrumors regular

i have always used 'smart groups' in Address Book on my macs.

yesterday i created a 'group' called 'personal' on my Mac - so are you guys saying that when i sync via MobileMe, this group will show-up on my iPhone?

9. pirateRACE macrumors 6502

Yes, I have several groups as well. On top of the contacts page is a back button where you select "All" or "Work" or "Family".

No need to rant or fire anyone! :D

10. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

Yes, with MobileMe, all your contacts and groups will be formatted identically regardless of whether you're on a Mac, iPhone, or iPad.

It's important to note, however, that if you use customized ringtones for a particular contact (to help identify the incoming call), that contact needs to reside on the iPhone itself and not just in MobileMe. You do this by first synching MobileMe and then replacing the iPhone's contacts with your MobileMe contacts while connected to iTunes. The reason this is necessary is that the iPhone will look at its memory instead of "the cloud" when picking the ringtone on an incoming call.

11. MrSingh thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your help guys. i think i will get my 'personal' group fully populated on Address Book ready for my iP4....cool!