Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiz561

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Hi!

With the new mobileme service starting up, I was wondering if somebody can let me know if it will sync with an exchange server using activesync, similiar to hwo the iphone is suppose to work.

From the overview page, it sounds like it syncs with exchange, but no details. Does it use pop or imap? Webdav? Activesync?

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks!

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
MobileMe has nothing to do with ActiveSync ...you can get push email on the iPhone via an Exchange server ...or by using a MobileMe account.

You'll only be able to do Exchange if you have a business plan though.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
MobileMe has nothing to do with ActiveSync ...you can get push email on the iPhone via an Exchange server ...or by using a MobileMe account.

You'll only be able to do Exchange if you have a business plan though.

Can someone CONFIRM THIS??? The business plan is like $15 more a month isn't it?

wiz561

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
confused

OK, so I'm a little confused... I am under the assumption that mobileme is like a 'one stop shop' for sync'ing everything under the sun. I'm mostly interested in exchange because our admin's are....well... bottom line is that they don't allow pop3 or imap, and they only support OWA and Outlook.

My idea is to sign up for mobileme, tell mobileme about the exchange server activesync url (<server>/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync), and then have it use that to sync to mobile me. Then, have my mail.app sync with mobileme and pull down the email. Yeah, it's a long shot, but that's why I'm asking about it.

I just saw that mobileme went live and they are offering a free trial. I think I'm going to sign up for it and give it a shot. I'm so happy that they offer this because if it can do what I want, I'll subscribe!

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
MobileMe is a competetor to activesync ...not a compatibility layer. The name@me.com addresses are NOT using MS technologies ...they are IMAP

Here's a screenshot of my mobileme account in Mail...

imapnz1.jpg

The next version of OS X is supposedly bringing real activesync support to OS X. (Snow Leopard) ..you are more likely interested in that.

wiz561

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks for the response. Well, even though I'm a little sad that it won't do it, but it's nice to know that apple is thinking about this!

Thanks!

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
My iPhone is connected to Exchange via ActiveSync and I do NOT have a business account. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.
I saw it on either this site, AppleInsider, MacWorld, or one of the other sites I visit frequently. My co-worker will be extremely happy if that isn't the case!

EDIT: ...after a quick google I found this link

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/071108dnbusiphoneprimer.40c9806b.html

and here at MW (at the bottom)

http://www.macworld.com/article/133988/2008/06/iphone3gfaqs.html

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
so how does the "cloud" sync with outlook then for those of us who are using outlook at home (no exchange)?

second question, how do we get all our contacts from the iphone / outlook into mobileme address book. is there a better way than just importing vcards?

steve bate

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Sync between mac and MobileMe I get, I've got an office PC that I want to keep the diary synced with MobileMe also (if I use Exchange it will wipe existing data on the iphone and then mac) how on earth do you get Outlook on a PC to sync with MobileMe in the Cloud? All of the info says you can do it but it doesn't tell you how :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.