MobileMe and Apple ID and iCloud migration?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mm1250, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Well,

I'm trying to think this through. Here is what I have:

1. I have a MobileMe account, myname@me.com which I will migrate to iCloud
    2. I have a iTunes ID account myname@gmail.com I use to buy all apps, songs, books and even everything on the Apple store site.

So, when I associate my device which account should link my iPhone, iPad to. If I link to my @me.com then none of my purchases will exist? if I link to my @gmail.com account, than how will my email sync with my phone. From what I read, you can't migrate the 2 accounts into 1. Seems very difficult and Apple should have really thought this through.

2. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I believe when you turn on iCloud, in order to have mail and notes sync it requires a (name)@me.com account. So that will always be your iCloud email. However to sign into iCloud you need your apple ID which is likely (name)@gmail.com or what have you.

I'm in the same boat and I agree it is a little odd the way that it's set up if your apple ID wasn't a @me.com address to start with.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It's pretty simple if you don't over think it!

Apple ID: Apple ID
    iCloud ID: MobileMe/iCloud

Unless it asks for your iCloud details, use your Apple ID.

4. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Actually its like this. The iTunes ID, that is the shared account. Migrate MobileMe to iCloud. Your iCloud login is then the same as your mobileMe. If its just your devices, then i imagine you will want to have the same iCloud login for all of them. When you set up iPad for iCloud. Use the same MM credentials your migrated to iCloud. Once done, go into Settings>Store and change this login to the Gmail account.

5. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Exactly how I have done it as well. My me account just became my iCloud and my apple Id remained the same to make purchases.

6. grovertdog macrumors regular

On the other hand

My situation is rather the opposite:

I want to retain my AppleID but ditch my MobileMeID. Is it just as easy as "turning off" MobileMe from the transferror computer, or do I need to consider more steps prior to "migrating" to iCloud??