MobileMe and iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by chrisjarmstrong, Oct 21, 2008.

1. chrisjarmstrong macrumors member

Is there a way to have the default "From" field not set to the MobileMe email address?

2. chrisjarmstrong thread starter macrumors member

3. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

Yes there is, both in Apple - mail app and on the iPhone

4. chrisjarmstrong thread starter macrumors member

5. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Yes, please explain because I have the following problem.

I have a primary MobileMe email that uses the account name I registered with.

We'll call it primary@mac.com

Now, I do not use this email address. If it were to ever get out to spammers, it would be difficult at best to stop them. Instead I created an alias and use it.

We'll call it alias@mac.com

In Mail.app on the computer, I can set it up to use the email alias@mac.com while logging in using the primary username and password.

In the web based mail, I can tell it to send outgoing mail as one of my aliases such as alias@mac.com.

Problem is, on my iPhone, I can not seem to do this. It forces the login to use the email given. So if I give it alias@mac.com, it can't log in because that username doesn't exist. If I give it primary@mac.com then the only From address I can use is primary@mac.com.

Hope that makes sense.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Can you not just set up the alias as a different account? If you can, then go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and choose the alias as the default account.

To the OP, if you have more than one account on your iPhone, that is how you choose which one it will send from when using links outside the Mail app.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you have multiple email accounts set on your iPhone (say your gmail, your Yahoo, and your MobileMe), you can go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and towards the middle of the screen, you can set the Default Account.

If the only email account on your phone is MobileMe, you can't change the default "From" address to something other than your MobileMe. (i.e. you have your gmail email forwarded to your MobileMe account so that it's instantly pushed to your iPhone ... when you reply to one of your forwarded gmail emails, you can't specify a different From: ... it'll have to be From: your MobileMe account)

8. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

See, that's where the problem is with the MobileMe alias accounts.

The only way I've heard to send from a different account then you receive from on the iPhone is to setup the other account and choose to send from that smtp server.

Problem is, you can not create an account for a MobileMe alias because you can not log on with that address name.

Basically, I have yet to figure out any way to send from an alias account that is made within' MobileMe. Only your primary account login name which I never use for email.

9. chrisjarmstrong thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, this is exactly what I am doing. I am forwarding all of my mail to my MobileMe account so I can take advantage of the push email. However the from field remains @me.com for the default. I have to manually change it every-time I want to send an email from account that is being forwarded. Just checking to see if there is a way.

Thanks for the reply.

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

You could set up the other account(s) on the iPhone using IMAP. Then when you want to send an email, tap the "From" field and a list of all your accounts appears.

Set Fetch to "Manually" and none of those other accounts will ever pull new email, so they won't ever mess with your Inbox count.

11. chrisjarmstrong thread starter macrumors member

Yeah is basically what I am doing now. I just thought you would be able to change the default from field as you would on the computer. Hopefully they will as that functionality later.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Well you can change the default under the Settings, but I believe it only changes the default "from" address when Mail is accessed via an outside link.

13. chrisjarmstrong thread starter macrumors member

I have the default account set up already but it still uses the me.com address. Hopefully Apple will update this!

14. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

First of all, I did this back when I got my 1st gen iPhone the day it came out... so it has been a while since I did this... From memory, here it goes...

I setup a second imap account on my iPhone (not a .Mac or MM account - but an imap account) using my .mac alias address (this was before the me transition). Then on the iphone I set that alias to be the default sending account. So, I ended up with 2 accounts on my iPhone. My primary and alias .mac addresses....

Then, when composing an email on the iPhone:
    Where you see the from line (cc / bcc line) touch that, then you should see your primary and also your alias to choose from as the sending address.