MobileMe & Apple ID Warning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sinerge, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sinerge macrumors newbie

Just got off an hour call with Apple Support and they could not resolve the following issue:

My original Apple ID is my @mac.com email address, which is tied to my MobileMe subscription that has expired and was not renewed. Therefore I wanted to change my Apple ID, as is make no sense to have an ID that is an email address that is no longer used or could be used by another person in the future, even if I can still change the "Email" to another address. However, Apple does not allow the Apple ID to be changed because it is tied to a MobileMe account and will tell you so when you go to myinfo.apple.com. So, I created a new Apple ID which is not linked and can be changed at any time. BUT the problem is that I have to log in the old account to update my app purchases as that is where the purchase history is stored. Basically, I'll have to log into two accounts for the rest of my life to update all my apps. Very poor user experience. So would recommend against using your MobileMe email as your Apple ID unless you intend to keep it forever.

2. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

Agreed!

I tried to delete my account on myspace and had this very same problem. No email address, no discontinue. That's just plain nuts. I'm kind of glad I wasn't able to tie my .me account to my iTunes account. Some error, I don't know. But after reading this I just hope I always have the same email addy.

3. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

Yeah it's a pain. My Apple ID is a old comcast address that I no longer use. I did change the contact email address however so I get my updates and if I were to forget my password it would be sent to the proper email. I just view it as a lame username since it's no longer my email address.:rolleyes:

4. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Pretty crazy I got a few accounts lying around like that.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have multiple iTunes accounts... It's not really that big of a deal for me. I just use my gmail address. I try not to tie my MobileMe account to anything for the very reason you described... if I ever decide not to re-subscribe to MobileMe anymore, I'd want to still be able to fall back on another account that I know I'll always have. I hate the idea of getting locked out of my email unless I pay another $99 to access it again.