MobileMe charge $1 to debit card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nunes013, Jun 1, 2011.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I checked my online bank account this morning because I was waiting for a check to go in. I noticed a charge from Apple that was $1 and said MobileMe. Maybe im not thinking straight but what could this be for. My subscription doesnt renew for another month. Could it be itunes and Apple mislabeled it?

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The only way you will know for sure is by contacting Apple.

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

i just didnt know if it had something to do with the icloud thing and others had the charge as well.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I had a 1$ charge when I first created my iTunes account, it was just to verify that my credit card was valid and it was cancelled after a week or so.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It's not a charge. It's an authorization. A company can't charge your card until a service is provided, but they can "ask for permission" to charge that amount in the future. Basically, they're saving some space under your credit limit so that they can charge it later. With a real credit card this would be no big deal, but with a debit card the only guarantee of payment is to actually hold the funds. Have you ever used your debit card to pay at the pump at a gas station and had a $75 hold put on your account? It's the same principle.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I suspect that Apple is doing the same thing to verify that the account is still active to renew MobileMe next month.

Except that a $1 hold wouldn't do anything for a $99+ charge. More than likely this is to verify that the account in still active.

Regardless OP, you should contact Apple and ask them what the $1 is for. There's no sense in guessing randomly when it could very well be anything from a simple error to an unauthorized charge to a routine status check.