MobileMe cheapest ever at Amazon today!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sphilipp, Nov 22, 2010.

1. sphilipp macrumors newbie

MobileMe is available on Amazon for $42.20 today. It's pretty cool to check out the price history on the tracktor-- http://thetracktor.com/detail/B001AMLRU4/

While listed as "Old Version", it is no different than the new box. There is a code inside the box that can be entered on mac.com for a full year of MobileMe service -- new or renewal.

Just follow these steps...

1) Go to www.me.com/activate.
    2) Type in the code provided in the box.
    3) Click radio button "Apply to an existing account" for a renewal or "Create new account" to make a new account.
    4) Click Submit

The [Old Version] text simply refers to an old copy of the information pamphlet inside.

2. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Thanks ! I snagged one. 41.16 is unheard of, for MobileMe!

3. iFalcon macrumors regular

4. akbc, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

akbc macrumors 6502

5. urkel macrumors 68030

It's a good deal but with "find my iPhone" being FREE with 4.2 and the rest of the stuff has free (superior?) alternatives so it's just not as hot as it was last week.

6. ryanvalle macrumors member

are there expirations on when we can activate the code in the box? I'm thinking of buying a few to save me a few bucks over the years when i do need to renew...

7. theGAPkid macrumors regular

is this something that could be bought by someone in the UK (myself :p) and then used? I'm presuming all codes are the same? The cheapest price I've discovered in the UK is £39... $62.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I bought a very cheap dot Mac box off eBay a few months ago and that code still worked.

9. andiwm2003, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

bought it for $43 (individual version) with free shipping from "portable guy". I'll let you know if the code works when it's here.

Usually you can renew at any time and it adds the year to your account. That means when your account has 6 month left then you get an expiry date in 18 month after you enter the code.

10. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I just bought mine from a seller on Ebay for about $45. Many of these actually tell you they're going to email you the code rather than send the box and that's fine with me - I'd rather activate immediately than wait for this tiny little mostly empty box to arrive in a week or so. Just another option - as always, be sure and check their feedback before bidding.

11. gregster macrumors newbie

The codes never expire - so you can always just hold onto them and input them every year, but I think you can just keep adding years by heading back to me.com/activate and continuing to enter codes.

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would rather get a sealed, unopened box. I don't want the seller even knowing the code. This prevents them from possibly selling the same code again 6 months later after I've already given positive feedback. Then Apple would want to try to figure out who had the "real" code and who had the copy. I've heard of people being sold bogus AppleCare over and over again on ebay.

I suggest going for the unopened box to reduce the likelihood of the code falling into the wrong hands after you have paid for it, used it, and given positive feedback.

13. MacSignal, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

MacSignal macrumors regular

Agree. A code only purchase is risky. Sellers of bogus AppleCare codes have done well on eBay with this arrangement. By the time the buyers find out they've been cheated, there is little or no recourse. Any code-based Apple product I buy on eBay has to ship as genuine sealed OEM product. If you don't ask the questions (and get the answers) to make sure that is what you are buying on eBay, it's probably something else.