MobileMe closure ends the Backup 3.0 Application. Replacement Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thedoor1, Jan 14, 2012.

1. thedoor1 macrumors member

I've been using the easy as pie Backup 3.0 Application to backup all documents and settings to my MobileMe iDisk. With iCloud, MobileMe dies this summer, and my iDisk is gone. It's easy breezy and happens once a week w/o me noticing, but I know it isn't popular.

What are people using for an OUTSIDE THE HOME backup solution? I already use Time Machine / Time Capsule inside the house, but this was way to not lose anything if the house gets robbed or destroyed. My photos are all on Flickr, but important documents and back ups were taken care of by this nifty little application.

Apple just ignores it on the MobileMe to iCloud FAQ page.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

2. astrorider macrumors 6502

I signed up for SpiderOak for automatic backups. It seems pretty good although I find the user interface somewhat confusing at times. Other services I've heard recommended but don't have much experience with are Dropbox and SugarSync. All three of these offer free 2-5GB trials so you can see how each works on all the platforms you use (Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad, etc)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even when iDisk ends, I don't believe anything will stop you from continuing to use the Backup 3.0 application just like you have been. You will just need to point it to a different backup destination. If you like the app, you can just continue to use it.

4. thedoor1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I agree, but I'll need a new destination drive. I'll be keyed on a trustworthy, economic service.

However for the longer term I won't be able to use an unsupported product forever.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Another free option is to download and use the Crashplan software. Crashplan is a paid, online backup service, but you can use their software free for local backups and it is very configurable.

6. thedoor1 thread starter macrumors member

7. martin1000 macrumors regular

+1 for crashplan! I do have a paid subscription and love it. I think it is $5 per month