MobileMe: Do not sync dock size

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DennisMadsen, May 16, 2011.

1. DennisMadsen macrumors regular

I'm using MobileMe on both my 13" MBP and my 27" iMac. My settings are synchronized with MobileMe. Unfortunately the size of my dock is synchronized too. That's not usefull, since I would like to have small icons on my 13" screen and big icons on my 27". How can I change that?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just uncheck the Dock setting in the MobileMe Sync preferences.

jW

3. KlytusLord macrumors regular

I believe what the OP wants is to still sync the dock but without messing with the icon size.

If I am correct, there is no setting for this. the dock sync is a on/off option only.

That said, you can try the following, which I have not tested ...

In the terminal you can the icon size you want on each machine by typing:
    defaults write com.apple.Dock tilesize -integer 48

change the 48 to the size you want.

Then lock the dock size by typing:
    defaults write com.apple.Dock size-immutable -bool true

This prevents the dock from being resize using either the "road" divider on the dock or the dock settings window. It "should" prevent MobileMe from changing the size as well, while still updating the dock items on both machine.

4. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I think that the sync option "Dock Items" will sync the items in the dock - and not the settings of the dock. Thats what I've experienced.

I've tried to run the commands you recommended, but the dock is not resizing when I change it's size with these commands?

5. DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

I've turned off "Dock Items" on both devices. But still the size is changing.