MobileMe family pack tracking?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Aero93, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Aero93 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

My dad just set up a MobileMe family pack and I'm one of the lines. I was wondering if since he set it up, if he has some sort of "administrator" power. Like could he access my account and track my phone to see where I am all the time?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Not really.

I mean i'm sure he could log onto your account, but not much more than that...

If he really wanted to track you, he would just call AT&T.

Love,
    omi

3. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

If you have find my iPhone turned on, he can track you. He'll know everywhere your phone is.

4. Aero93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well since he initially set up the account, he made my password. But I changed it the second he gave it to me.
    But if he can still get into my account somehow, then yeah he can track my iPhone, and me with it. It's one of the MobileMe features.

Thanks for the response :)

5. Aero93 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Eric
    So there is some sort of special power he has over my account? As in, he can get into my stuff without my password?

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

You can stop your iphone from being tracked by MobileMe by turning off "Find my iPhone" in the settings. But I wouldn't do that, cause if you loose your iPhone SUCKS FO YOU!

Haha.

Seriously man its very very unlikely he will track you with MobileMe.
    The carrier that your phone is on will do it for him no matter what.
    Trust me, i've had friends screwed by it :D

love,
    Omi

P.S. He probably can reset your MobileMe password to get in if he wants to.

7. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

The master account can add and remove secondary accounts, see aggregate data transfer information for all of the accounts, and change billing info, but cannot see personal data from the secondary accounts, even Find My iPhone.
    I don't know what other posters are referring to when they say the carrier will easily let someone track your phone. It's not a trivial matter to do so, requiring much more than a casual call to customer service to get the cell tower triangulation data for your handset. And, it's not feasible to get your GPS coordinates without an active app on the phone sending it: check out AT&T's Family Map and Loopt.

Changing your password effectively secured your data (and your location).

8. Aero93 thread starter macrumors newbie

@justinfreid
    Thank you! That's what I really wanted to know. Looks like I'll be keeping my iPhone tracking on after all :)

9. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

You're welcome.
    Check out the Gallery (photo management), Find My iPhone, and iDisk apps Apple released to work with MobileMe.

10. Aero93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol got them all, and started posting pictures
    On my gallery earlier today :p