MobileMe for Free With the Same Login As iTunes - Article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 6, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Here is a great article on why Apple should make MobileMe free for the basics, and combine it with iTunes.

Microsoft and Google are trying for the same thing, to have one login, that lets you access anything (check your gmail/hotmail, buy music, photos etc) from anywhere and from any device.

Ironically, between the iTunes store, the recent purchase of Lala (cloud based iTunes), AppleTV and mobileme, Apple is in a far better position than either Microsoft or Google, to get their customers into one all in login id, that lets them access all their apps, download all their music, share and access their photos and email, from any device with internet access.

The article makes a fantastic point...

http://gizmodo.com/5552953/why-arent-i-the-center-of-the-apple-universe?skyline=true&s=i

A partial excerpt of the article follows...

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It would be nice if I was able to combine my MobileMe, Apple.com account, iTunes account, and Apple forums account into one (or at least link them together).

3. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

You can already use your MobileMe login for all of those. But you can't merge them if you're using different logins, which I think is what you mean. You really should be able to.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

If they do this, wouldn't Apple just be copying Google and MS? This forum has many members who accuse Google and MS of copying everything Apple does. I'm not sure who had the idea of a single sign-on first, Google or Microsoft, but surly Apple wouldn't copy another company's innovation.

6. tuna macrumors 6502

Would Apple make it completely free for everyone?

On one hand, I wish they would make it only available to people with registered Macs and/or iPhones... those are already high margin products and they could afford to include a relatively high quality cloud service product for free. They could include, say, every feature thats currently in MobileMe with maybe 10GB of storage. They could also just skip having ads. Basically provide Apple customers with exclusive access to HIGHER QUALITY cloud services than Google could ever afford to provide with an ad-supported model. Reduces privacy concerns (of contextual advertising) and would stop a flood of people from taking all the good @me.com email aliases. I know, Apple rarely misses the opportunity to charge their users, but cloud integration could become a huge selling point of their hardware. Its hard to sell intelligent consumers on cloud integration when they know that they're going to have to spend $70-$100/year in perpetuity in order to keep their email address and not have to cludge up some method of exporting their contacts and calendars.

On the other hand, Apple might want to offer their free cloud service on a wider basis, and include really good Apple product integration to encourage random people to become Apple customers. "Oh, this is great webmail, web calendar, and cloud storage, but if I only had an iPhone I could get it pushed to me wherever I went, and I could view files in my storage on my phone, and email people download links to my files right on my phone..."

I hope something like the former emerges.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

They could drop the price for the lesser features version.

8. Eddieowns macrumors member

Chances are, you'll make a mobile me ID and link it with your itunes email login. Then you'll start logging in iTunes with this new mobile me ID

9. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

LMAO. Something like having the same login for multiple accounts isn't an innovation. It's common sense, and companies have been offering it long before Microsoft or Google.

Innovations applies to things like multitouch, and pinch to zoom. Besides all electronics companies borrow and feed off of of each other's ideas and innovations. It would suck if they didn't. They wouldn't be able to include a front facing camera or flash for the rear camera in the new iPhone since companies have been doing that long before apple.

The iPod and the iPhone borrowed off tons of ideas from competing devices over the years.