MobileMe for Pre-order? Mid July release

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanescuela, Jun 27, 2008.

1. bryanescuela Suspended

Hi guys

I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything. Sorry if it has been posted before

I just came across this link on the apple.com website

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB611Z/A

It says MobileMe is ready for pre-order and will be available Mid July

Attached Files:

• mme.JPG
      mme.JPG
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
  2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

whats the point of pre-ordering. You cant use it until it launches anyway.

3. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

4. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I would like to try a Free Trial before I make my decision. Especially on configuring the Family version.
    It looks like the 4 additional accounts are split evenly when I need just 1 and would like to be able to place all the additional space into 1 account. I hope they allow for that but it looks like it may not.

Does anyone have any info from the .Mac Family account on configuration?

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Your one part looks a little confusing.

Please break it down?

Basically the system works like this (and should continue to under mobile me)

Single User = 1 email 20g
    Family Users = 5 emails 5g ea = 20g (yes it's evenly spread)

Single User + 4 extra emails $100 + $40 (rounded up) = $140 a year
    Family Users = $150

Even buying extra emails they are considered 'sub accounts' and still fall under your "MASTER" account. They are not alias as each of them will have their own seperate 'inbox' etc. However, the concept is similar if you buy a service from a web hosting provider. Let's say with webhost4life your allocated 200g of email storage and allows 500 max individual email accounts. That doesn't mean you get 500 x 200g = (a whole shatload of disk space) it means 200g is evenly distributed (or allocated in admin so some have more some have less) between all 500 accounts. It's not a new concept and Apple is doing nothing different here.

However, if you only need 1 extra email, just BUY ONE extra email. 20g will then become 10g each OR YOU CAN configure how much each email can have for mail storage.

iDisk should still remain under the master account holder but you can allow others to view, upload, share etc.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Old :D. Just kidding. Anyway, there's really no point cause you can't use it...in fact, it's better to buy a .mac account right now.

That way at least you can use it.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

And it's auto upgraded to mobileme.

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I already have a .Mac account, but for those who don't can they still get a .Mac account or do they have to wait until MobileMe is out. I like having an @mac.com email address. I hope this doesn't change with MobileMe.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

.Mac sales (from what I've seen) can probably be purchased at the Apple store since they're sold as boxes as well as electronic numbers.

If you can get your hands on a 'Box' version I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. You'll get a number in the box (you technically SHOULD be able to buy it online as well) and goto mac.com/activate/ and enter that number in.

10. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

Family Users = 5 emails 5g ea = 20g (yes it's evenly spread)
    5x5=25 so maybe with a family plan you actually get 25g of storage?

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Exactly. :)

12. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I pre-ordered a while ago. I was hoping it'd let me start reserving email addresses now, but thats not the case.
    To be honest its probably wiser to use the free trial, I think its 60 days, that way you get it for longer 60 days longer and also you may find you don't want it afterall.
    However I went for purchasing now as I can't see me not wanting it, and was worried the trial wouldn't let me reserve email names so easily and I don't want to have some stupid email address with numbers (I'm used to emails with my owndomains so they can be anything I want)