MobileMe - free?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Freis968, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I recall all the news stories saying that the service would be free. Some people were posting pictures of their MobileMe account pages that said:

Account Type - Full Member and had no expiration date.

Any comments?

I guess those people were just making that up and trying to be smart alecs. Mine still says Individual and says it expires in 100 days.

2. iTim314 macrumors 6502

MobileMe is a service that requires Apple to have lots of physical storage available, as well as many man-hours writing the software, to pay for. I doubt it'll be free, ever.

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

4. TennisandMusic

MS offers their 25 gigs of storage per live account free, and it comes with all the calendar, contacts and photo syncing etc. It's not as pretty, but I do know some people that use it quite a bit. Apple could afford to give it away in order to drive their business in other areas, no question.

5. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps with some iAd functionality to offset the lack of annual revenue, but I'll take paying $100 a year over having ads slung at me.

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I'm thinking its just a visual glitch. We will all go back to paying through the nose for our pretty little apple services pretty soon.

I'm hoping it goes free...I somehow doubt it.

Love,
    Omi

7. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I could see there being a free tier.. At least free to iPhone users with an email account and some basic cloud services like contacts, calendars and other syncing functions.

I rarely use the storage except to back up certain documents... But sharing a large file via idisk or from Final Cut Pro has come in handy plenty enough to justify the price.

I'm sure something is on the way.. mobile me is a lot better then many of the other free services out there IMO - but Apple ought to think about remaining competitive pretty soon.