MobileMe, Gmail and Mail App Intergration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pw030180, Jul 11, 2008.

1. pw030180 macrumors newbie

I have signed up for the new MobileMe service, particularly useful to me because of the "push functionality"

Now, I have been using gmail for about 18mths and have hundreds of emails categorized in "labels" in gmail that I have successfully managed to set up and view in Apple Mail 3 and also view on my iPhone. - I did this by activating IMAP which has worked perfectly.

Now my question is as follows: I would like to import all of my emails that are stored on my gmail account in the labels into my new MobileMe account - so that I have them online in MobileMe and visible in Apple Mail.

Eventually, once this has been done, I would like to stop using gmail so all I have is my MobileMe account which has all of the gmail emails that I have accumulated over time.

Many thanks.

2. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Set up your new MobileMe account in Mail alongside your existing Gmail account, then drag emails over. It's a very simple process. It may take time moving all of them across the internet, but it's not a horrible idea. And gmail has plenty of space, so you can always just copy them over and keep a backup copy.

3. pw030180 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it and seems to work perfectly. Thanks very much for your quick response, much appreciated. Paul.

4. phil8055 macrumors newbie

Hey Newappleboy,
    You seem very knowledgeable about mobileMe and Gmail.
    I have been using Gmail as my primary email for a very long time.
    I find the mobileMe concept genius: finally a tool (other than Exchange at work) that centralizes and updates all personal info!!! But I don't want to change my primary email address to myname@me.com
    How can I work it out, and does it make sense?
    Thanks

5. ocellnuri macrumors regular

I'm wondering the same thing as Phil,

I don't want to give up my Gmail account, a lot goes to it, and it also pulls in a few other e-mail addresses. What I 'would' like is the PUSH of mobileme, along with calendar and contacts syncing, etc.

From what I understand, though, there's push functionality in the IMAP protocol, Google just needs to turn it on for Gmail, but I'm not exactly sure.

6. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

IMAP is already enabled in gmail and I use it myself. Haven't set it up on a touch yet since I don't have one, but it works just the same. It's just like the push technology behind mobileme and you can still use your gmail account. That's what I'll be doing. Granted, the @me.com email address will be nice, but it won't be replacing my current gmail account by any means. I'm mainly going to be using mobileme for the calendar and contact push technology, and the idisk will be nice as well. :cool:

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes IMAP is already enabled in gmail, I use it too. Unfortunately it isn't "push" IMAP, unless Apple just doesn't do things right on their end, because it doesn't work that way in Mail.app or iPhone; I haven't tried it wirh anything else.

8. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

How does it not work in Mail? I use it daily. I'm not sure what "push" functionality within gmail's IMAP you're referring to, but maybe you could explain. I may not understand it as much as I thought I did.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

With "push" email you don't have to do anything to receive email, it just magically shows up in your mailbox. When somebody sends you a gmail, you don't actually receive it until you clock "Get Mail" or Mail automatically does a "get" (vased on a time setting in Mail). With MobileMe/Mail and with Exchange/Outlook, the messages automatically show up.