MobileMe gone, but is iDisk gone too?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 3Pedals6Speeds, Jun 6, 2011.

1. 3Pedals6Speeds macrumors member

I noted that iDisk was never specifically mentioned. iCloud is clearly IOS focused (Pages integrated, etc...), but what about those of us using iDisk to keep multiple OSX machines sycn'd? Do you think iDisk is gone?

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I do in a way. I think it's being replaced by iCloud.

3. 3Pedals6Speeds thread starter macrumors member

I thought that initially, but then noticed that iDisk is just a part of MobileMe, and sounds like iCloud isn't going to do everything iDisk did/does. I like the idea of iCloud, but if it is 1/4 the storage capacity of iDisk, and is in-app only, as it appears to be, would be a step backward functionality-wise from iDisk. MobileMe has had it's issues obviously, but iDisk has been around 10 years now, and some of us rely upon it pretty heavily, especially in the non-IOS hardware area.

With Dropbox and Google's storage solution (don't use, can't recall name) coming along, I'd be surprised to see them drop this kind of functionality. Prepared to be bummed though if that's what's happening though.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

MobileMe you paid for, iCloud is free (5gb cap). iDisk was a paid feature that came with MMe. I "think" that it will be removed and replaced with iCloud because they basically serve the same premise. A place to store stuff. iDisk is very similar and actually to me the exact same as iCloud. iCloud has better benefits though that's a lot like Dropbox with bonus features of music syncing, etc.

So to sum up I believe iDisk is gone and iCloud is in.

5. Fiddler70 macrumors regular

Can you share files that reside on iCloud with people? i.e. send them links to those files? If so, I am fine...