Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbaetz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hi. New MacRumors forum user here.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is happening when I upload tiff images to Mobileme from iPhoto via iWeb. The pictures appear in the iWeb gallery as jpegs (understandably), and I haven't been able to locate any tiff files on my iDisk anywhere, so I assume that they are being converted upon upload. If that is the case does anyone know what sort of jpeg conversion parameters are being used? I am unaware of any settings for specifying the conversion.

Alternately, is it possible that the original uploaded tiff files do reside "in the cloud", but in a location hidden from me?

Hate to be so retentive about this, but I spent alot of time creating my digital images and I want to understand just exactly what's happening to them "in the cloud".

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I believe you can choose (through the info window) the compression, faster loading smaller files size or full quality, though I'm not sure if full quality would keep them in the original TIFF format.

If you want to look for the original files I'd suggest looking in your iDisk Web folder as that's where it'll all be.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 360
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 367

wbaetz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Thanks for your reply Sam. I did find that preferences dialog you mentioned in your post. It appears to be for for specifying downloading from iWeb as opposed to uploading parameters, but the fact that you can allow downloading of full quality files implies that high res images can be uploaded.

I didn't find any tiff files anywhere in my iDisk, but did find a large (3MB) jpeg file that corresponds to the tiff I uploaded.

I could be splitting hairs at this point. I currently have accounts with Kodak gallery, Photobucket, Flickr, and Picasa, and iPhoto>iWeb>Mobileme appears to have them all beat when it comes to image quality.

I still wish I had a clearer picture of what exactly iWeb is doing to my tiff files on upload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.