Mobileme just wiped my iDisk!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ADS, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ADS macrumors newbie

Just came back to computer after 4-5 hours to find my entire documents folder deleted....... I hadn't tried to move anything to the trash..... just left the thing running.... came back to nothing! Any ideas anyone? :mad:

2. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

I have had the same thing happen... Now I backup my iDisk nightly. Have you checked your iDisk online to see if your info is there?

3. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

WOW! Data loss at the hands of MM...now THAT is unacceptable.

Sometimes I feel like MobileMe is a collection of unstable technologies all rolled into one premium package. :mad:

4. Maxington macrumors 6502

Make sure you use their online chat AND GET A CASE# then when you email it will be easier to follow-up. I did and finally got my case resolved after $40 days of being locked out of one of my sub-accounts.

5. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

This one sorta reminds me of (years ago) when my little brother was crying, he had a big lump on his head... My older brother (with hammer in hand) said " I didn't hit him in the head with a hammer"...

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Scary stuff indeed. Can you back up your iDisk contents to through Time Machine?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd like to know this. If Time Machine does back up iDisk, how do you access it through TM?

8. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

If you have "local iDisk" turned ON then the contents of your iDisk is saved on your Mac as a "Sparse Disk Image Bundle". It is found in your home / library / filesync folder and therefore time machine would be backing up your iDisk (though for most, not in a useable way)...

If you do not have "local iDisk turned on" then you are depending on Apple to keep your stuff safe...

There are workarounds... I use SuperDuper to backup my local iDisk to a partition of an external drive every night. This has saved me a number of times when iDisk goes haywire...

Hope this helps...

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Is "local iDisk" turned ON the same as "iDisk Sync" turned ON (Update: Automatically) under MobileMe in System Pref?

10. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

Yes it is. When you "Start" or turn on local iDisk you are creating a local copy of your iDisk on your computer for use when you do not have an internet connection.