MobileMe Mail doesn't use aliases / forces to reveal ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aquatic, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Aquatic macrumors newbie

MobileMe Mail doesn't let me use my @me.com aliases to send mail from iPhone! What's up with that?

I don't want to use my Primary MobileMe ID as an email address; that's what I use aliases for.

What I want:
    MobileMeAlias@me.com

What iPhone requires:
    MobileMeID@me.com

Forcing me to use my Primary me.com ID has several drawbacks:

1. I use 3 different aliases for 3 different types of mail: friends&family, online shopping, and other/business. This makes it super-easy to file emails into smart folders when they reply. If I send from my ID, I don't have anything so filter on! (And I'm not going to create a rule for each person I write to!!!)
    Plus, as the online-shopping alias starts to get too much junk, I can delete it and create a new one. Bye bye junk!
    1b. I can't use my junk alias, so my MobileMe mail will now accumulate SPAM SPAM SPAm SPam Spam spam spa. sp.. s... .... ... .. .

2. My correspondents will get confused, receiving mail from multiple addresses. On my Mac they receive it from the alias, but from iPhone they receive it from my ID.

3. What if I want only a select group to access my iWeb sites and Public folder, and don't want to lock down the whole thing with passwords? When someone knows my ID, they know the rest!

2. beaken macrumors member

Did you setup an account using your aliases email address and password on the iphone? Or did you only set it to use your normal .me address?

3. Aquatic thread starter macrumors newbie

I set it up with my normal .me address. That's the only one you can login with; the aliases aren't ID's and only work as email addresses. The work-around is to set it up as an IMAP account, but then I lose the Push functionality, which is the only big thing about MobileMe.

=E=

4. steinne macrumors newbie

mail preferences

You may need to add the required alias to the mail preference pane in the Mail.app

In Mail.app preference pain, select accounts. You will see an area for Email Addresses. Add the alias you required separated with a comma.