MobileMe only seems to work right with PUSH activated

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Scott-n-Houston, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I've been using fetch lately to improve battery life, and have been doing it with Exchange. It works wonderfully. Everything is fetched and synched perfect with Outlook. I have PUSH turned off, and have fetch set to 'manual'.

Last night, I added Mobileme to my phone. My wife has been using MobileMe on her 2G iPhone for the last week or so, and it's been great. I wanted to get our home calendar on mine too, so I added it, but left PUSH off.

I noticed that I would get calendar updates when I opened the calendar, and it would fetch manually at that time, but one thing I found...

If I make a change to a calendar item on my wife's phone (ie. add a note), that change would not make it to my phone even with opening and closing the calendar over and over. When I turned on PUSH, it showed up immediately.

So, it seems MobileMe really needs PUSH to work right. Anyone else experience this?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

That's the idea behind MobileMe.

3. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

That makes no sense. PUSH is just moving data one way and fetch is supposed to do it another. Why would data only move with PUSH?

And then on Fetch, some data moves and not other data.

"The idea behind mobileme" was just synching up each machine. The mechanism of delivery of the data wasn't part of the big idea. If it was, then fetch shouldn't work at all.

Not trying to be rude, but your response seemed a little knee jerk reactionary to me.

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

The idea behind Mobile Me (before they changed the wording) is 'instantaneous synchronization'. You cannot do that with fetch. Fetch would be 'timer based synchronization' or some other fancy wording for it. They based the whole service around push, so it's not surprising using 'fetch' isn't working right. Never mind the fact the rest of the service is a bit unstable.

5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. I that makes some sense.

And you're right, MobileMe regardless of setup, is pretty unreliable.

It still surprises me that it works one way and not the other. It would seem if it didn't work with fetch, they shouldn't allow you to turn PUSH off for the mobileme service or at least give you a notice saying that it may change the way it works.

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

The only thing I can think of right now is that your fetch data is currently cached or MobileMe only rebuilds the fetch data hash every X minutes to keep load down?

Try turning your phone back to Fetch and add a calendar event on Me.com and wait 15 minutes and fetch it. Then try again in 15 minutes if it's no good. I know this isn't a fix but maybe it'll provide an answer.

7. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very good thoughts. I'll try that later today when I have some time to kill with the 2 phones. (My wife has hers right now... I have to pry it away from her)