MobileMe Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by helloadam, Jul 6, 2008.

1. helloadam macrumors member

Hey, i'm very interested in MobileMe and I want to try the trial to see if i want to buy but I don't want to switch my e-mail address. Is there a way i can still use my gmail address with all the features of MobileMe?

2. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Simple answer: No

You can forward email around, but you will not be able to replace a @me.com address with anything else. If they allowed it, I would be tempted to use MobileMe, but another address would just be too annoying for me.

3. officerdick macrumors regular

There is an auto forwarding feature in Gmail, it is in settings>pop and forwarding.

Simply type in your new mobileme address there, and you should recieve all your emails.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's another email system, you'd just have to forward all mail from the me.com to the gmail.com addresses. Beyond that, no, you could not "tie" gmail to Mobile Me.

5. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

Is it possible to use all the features of MobileME and stay using GMAIL seperate though? I would have thought that I could use mobile me to take advantage of the push calendar and updating my address book and picture galleries without the need to use the email address?

Also, can you sign up for mobileME straight on the internet or do you have to buy it from the shop?

6. ajthomason macrumors 6502

You use the email address as your sign-in name, but apart from that you can forget about it and use the features as you mention. (just not push email).

And yes, you should be able to purchase online.

7. helloadam thread starter macrumors member

No, i don't think i worded my question correctly. Can I have my g-mail pushed to my iphone/mac/whatever and do all the neat features with it? Similar how I can set up my g-mail to come into my mail application on my MBP.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Unless Google start offering Push Email support for the likes of the iPhone, then no. You won't be able to use any other email address with MobileMe Push Email, unless of course, as already said, you forward your emails to your MobileMe account.

9. helloadam thread starter macrumors member

So if I set my gmail to transfer to my mobileme it'll get pushed to my iphone? Thats what i wanted to know, thanks!