MobileMe renewal question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by carbonfly, Feb 25, 2011.

1. carbonfly macrumors regular

My mobileme date is set to renew tomorrow. With all of this news about a change in mobileme to a free service, what should I do? If I don't renew and wait until march 2nd to see what Apple says will my stuff still be there when I renew then? Since I have all of my iphone contacts, etc backed up to mobileme will I lose them if I discontinue service for a few days?

Thanks.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You are delusional if you think MM will be free for the same level of service you are getting today.

4. notclosetofour macrumors member

The level of service that they offer now isn't that good...

5. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Do you really lose all your info if you don't renew? I thought they would keep it there until you decided to renew.

6. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

If it were me, I'd renew with the hopes that if it were to transition to a free service, Apple would either refund the difference left on the subscription (less likely in my opinion) or give me the same amount in iTunes credit (more likely in my opinion). Remember how they botched the launch? Many of us got a couple of months of free service as compensation. So I think there's a contingency plan in place for those with paid subscriptions. My renewal date is in May. If something is going to happen, I hope it does between now and then. But for me, the bottom line is that I'm keeping Mobileme, paid or free.

7. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Even if you renewed now, and they announced a Free option on Wednesday, you'd 100% be able to get a refund... Apple is pretty good like that.

Just look at all the fools whining on the phone for a free upgraded Macbook Pro in exchange for their 2010 MBP... if they'll upgrade those for free, they'll sure as hell refund you for buying a service that was made FREE 4 days later.

8. ReelAction macrumors member

Would think that one uses other methods to back up important data other than a single location such as MM.
    Would suggest that one makes alternate provisions to bu key data.

9. mizvalorie macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I renewed and upgraded to a family pack on Friday and they only charged me $5.06.

I don't know if it's an accident or what.

10. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Hmmm...could that be a pro rata charge between when you renewed and March 2nd? Didn't do the math but seems it's possible.

11. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I think the big news is that Apple is getting the fact that cloud services are considered part and parcel of the product experience and so need to be priced INTO the product, not an add on. MobileMe with all of its features and many, many new and significant features is going free to all users this Wednesday.

Watch.

12. mizvalorie macrumors member

I have no idea. They finally emailed me a receipt today.

Attached Files:

13. carbonfly thread starter macrumors regular

THanks for the comments everyone. I went ahead and renewed. Lets hope for good news on March 2nd!

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

If that's not an error.. this is good news. :D

15. PDiTO macrumors newbie

No charge for me either...

My MobileMe subscription renewed yesterday; my account now says expiry Feb 28th 2012...yet I wasn't charged...see below...interesting!

Creation Date 28.02.2011

Amount Due 0.00

Subtotal 48.76

VAT 21.00% 10.24

Shipping Charges 0.00

TOTAL GBP 59.00
    DO NOT PAY

16. alangrehan macrumors regular

From looking at those two receipts could it be that mobileme will be free in the US and £59 per year in the UK?

That would be a popular move by Apple! :p

17. mizvalorie macrumors member

I was charged the full price 8 days later.

Called apple and talked for an hour with a representative and they decided the initial charge was prorated. I don't believe that but what can you do? I love the service and I am not changing. I doubt it will go free anytime soon now.

18. tikitommy macrumors regular

I gambled on renewing online through Apple rather than buying the box from Amazon.

Got charged the full $99.

Oh well.

19. charactereducat macrumors newbie

You should renew

I think you should renew without wasting of time.

20. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I was just looking at my account, and it says it only costs $99 to renew my Family Pack, and $50 for me to renew the member accounts (presumably to become individual accounts). Has it always been this away? I thought it cost $150 to renew a family pack account?

21. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

$99 + $50 = $149 which is what the family pack has always been. That is apparently what it will cost you to renew or you can renew one and not the other...maybe that is why they are split out like that.

22. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not looking at it right now, but I'm pretty sure it said $50 for each member's account. As if they lowered the price by $50 for each.

23. Chemeddy macrumors member

Chemeddy

Nope. It's $50 for the set of 4 family accounts. You need to have the $99 individual account of course.

24. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Yep and nothing has changed. All this "MM is going FREE" I'm afraid is wishful thinking.

25. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

Hmm, i'm hoping it goes free, or at least have a free option with say mobile me mail with push and then have a tiered paid section for additional options