MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

120424-mobileme_cloud_logo.jpg

The Loop's Jim Dalrymple offers his thoughts on the rumored forthcoming MobileMe overhaul, sharing his belief that rather than utilizing a true "cloud-based" strategy in which Apple hosts all of a user's data on its own servers and sends it to devices as needed, MobileMe will instead become the "brains" of a service that taps the user's own home computer for hosting the content.
Is Apple going to give us all 100GB of cloud storage to host our music, backups and sync data? That seems a bit much to me. Here's what I think will happen with Apple's new MobileMe service.

Instead of trying to provide everyone with cloud storage, I believe Apple will use MobileMe as the brain of the cloud service. The actual storage will be on our individual machines. In effect, in the cloud.
Dalrymple suggests that this sort of personal cloud will include the expected audio and video media, but also files and documents, along with a syncing service to allow changes made on any device to be automatically reflected across all machines. He also suggests that rumors of the service becoming free may not entirely come to fruition, with portions of the functionality likely still requiring a paid subscription.

We have questions about how such a service would be embraced by increasingly mobile computer users who are likely to use notebook not always awake and connected to the Internet as their primary machines, but it certainly appears that Apple has something up its sleeve to help users deal with their growing arsenals of connected devices.

Article Link: MobileMe Revamp to Focus on Streaming Data From Individual Machines, Not Cloud?

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
Pretty useless while carrying your laptop around if it's your only machine.

Comment

DarthVedder

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe a low priced media server that connects to your network like a NAS drive for those who use notebooks as primary computer?

Comment

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Oh yes, streaming my 720p video episodes from home at 384kb upload will be.... interesting :mad:

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Personal Cloud??? Now they are just making #%^$ up! :D

One of the major benefits of "cloud computing" is having it managed by someone else and that it is always on and always available. If I have to manage the system myself (backups etc.) and can't put my notebook to sleep when not being used etc. or if I have to reconfigure everything again if I change that "host" computer, then it really isn't cloud computing.

Comment

rjbruce

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My cloud looks like a pony.

I've been doing this for a while now via orb, which can be a little buggy, but hey it's free. As long as it's free or provides some enhanced features that integrate with the apple ecosystem...sign me up. I just can't pay for mobileMe in it's current form.

Comment

pjac

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
So there may be some kind of power efficient apple home server product coming to go with this? I'd guess ARM powered. Could be very slick...

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe a low priced media server that connects to your network like a NAS drive for those who use notebooks as primary computer?

I'd like to see some enhancements to Apple Timecapsule. I should be able to backup/sync my iPhone/iPad to that.

Comment

DocStrange

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Bleh. If this is the case, then I'd much rather have wireless or proximity-based syncing of my iDevices over my LAN.

Comment

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow rumors are rapid firing in!!

Comment

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
For the price we all pay for MobileMe It should come with 100Gb of storage

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Now this makes sense. Apple is, after all, a hardware company. So why not create a cloud solution that gets customers to buy their hardware?

Comment

Twizz91

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
I think this makes sense though.

Apple will upgrade and promote time-capsule, or something like that.

Not a complete computer you need to run 24/7, but just a small harddisk with amazing capabilities, focussing on cloud stuff.

Also, this will give the users more of a safe feeling, I for one don't like the idea of áll my personal settings on 1 central point (that doesn't take away that apple has got your login info for mobileme and a hacker could still break in your files)

The idea will be to take 'home' with you everywhere, if you're waiting for the train, but also if you're at the toilet for instance ;)

So the small nano iPhone will be called "iPhone PC" .... the Personal Cloud Edition?

Now that would kinda su*k, wouldn't it? :p

For the price we all pay for MobileMe It should come with 100Gb of storage
you missed the rumors about mobileme becoming a free service?

Comment

bobgorila

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
We have questions about how such a service would be embraced by increasingly mobile computer users who are likely to use notebook not always awake and connected to the Internet as their primary machines, but it certainly appears that Apple has something up its sleeve to help users deal with their growing arsenals of connected devices.

Sounds like a niche the time capsule could evolve into...

Comment

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
We already had all of this 2 years ago if you used Lala.com and/or Simplify Media.

"Exciting news everyone! We are going back to the state of the art from 2009, only this time it will have the logo of a fortune 100 company on it instead of some raggedy upstart who might actually answer your emails."

meh. thanks, i guess.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.