MobileMe syncing issues - Mail Account issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Tsar, Feb 9, 2011.

1. The Tsar macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the following issue.

(This really only developed recently)

I use MobileMe to sync 4 devices: A laptop, a home desktop, a work desktop, and my iPhone. The only functions that I sync are Calendars, Contacts, Mail Accounts, Mail Rules & Sigs, and Notes.

I've noticed that after some syncs, one or more of my computers will have issues with signatures being removed from their associated accounts, mail rules being "unchecked," and more annoyingly, the "Use Only This Server" checkbox is constantly being unchecked.

Today was the third time I un-synced every computer and deleted the information on MobileMe's cloud. I am now in the process of only syncing two of my three computers to see if I can lock it down to a specific computer, but I was wondering if anyone had ever had this issue as well?

My Notes, too, i see are a little wonky. They won't sync, and from time to time I get an error message that says "Sync canceled for Notes," but then I'll hit sync again and it will work....when it doesn't delete my notes, that is. My "To-Dos" are also deleted.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm not a big fan of how Apple wrote iSync. It's not the most stable thing in the world. I sync across a Macbook, iPad and iPhone with MoMe. I sync calendars, notes and contacts. I do NOT sync mail accounts. I set them up on each device separately. I do NOT sync mail rules. I have it set to sync hourly and warn me when 5% or more of my data will be changed.

Once sync gets screwed up, you don't need to delete everything. Rather what you can do is run iSync.app and pick reset sync history (or something vaguely like that, I think it's also under advanced in system preferences->mobile me->sync). After doing that you will get asked about a boat load of sync conflicts during the next sync. After going through them once, you won't be bothered again until the next time iSync screws up all by itself for no good reason. iSync is at its worst when you include non-Apple things like google contacts or a Blackberry. Once I got to all Apple gear, I found that iSync only lost its mind a few times a year rather than a few times a month. There were some syncs when I had missing sync and bb desktop manager for os x where I could get 300 duplicates created during one sync. No wonder I never allowed my BB to sync via bluetooth whenever it was close to my Mac or I'd likely have 10,000 duplicates by now.