MobileMe update on May 5th?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petvas, Mar 1, 2011.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I just opened Busycal and I found an upgrade notification that is certainly interesting:
    Attention MobileMe users

Apple has announced that MobileMe will transition completely to the new MobileMe Calendar service on May 5th, 2011, and all MobileMe users must upgrade to the new MobileMe Calendar to maintain calendar syncing with their devices and to continue accessing calendars on me.com.

BusyCal 1.5.2 is compatible with the new MobileMe Calendar. If you use MobileMe, and have not yet upgraded to the new MobileMe Calendar, please click the links below for more information.

Overview of the new MobileMe Calendar
    Upgrading to the new MobileMe Calendar
    WARNING: Upgrading to the new MobileMe Calendar may require significant changes to your calendar sharing workflow and affect other members of your workgroup. Please read the above documentation before upgrading to the new MobileMe Calendar. If you are uncertain about how your workflow will be affected, please contact us before you upgrade to the new MobileMe.

So, what do you think? Is it just a coincidence, or had Apple already announced that they are moving the calendar service on May the 5th?

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Could this not be the new Calendar system that has been in Beta for a few months (I forget how long exactly)? Sounds to me like Apple are just making what was Beta standard.

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

The new calendar was out beta since last year. I think it was around September.

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

5. macuser1345 macrumors newbie

Why make the switch? Transition failed every try.

I get little from reading about what's in it for me from Apple or scouring the web. Why switch? I'm a MobileMe user from year one. Wondering if I should give up and return to my NOW software I used prior and loved. I made the full switch for both personal and business to ical a few years ago. It was a pain importing data from years back that I must have daily access to in my work.

I spent days trying to make the transition last month. Never worked.After doing everything but starting over, Apple support couldn't help me transition a 5 year calendar. Yes, I removed groups, archived a few of my 9 calendars hoping to re-import later, etc. What is in it for me? I am not sure I trust or like the idea of having my data reside on their server and why I decided against Google's calendaring.

Macbook Pro (i7)
    10.6.6, 4gb ram