MobileMe: very disappointing iPad showing so far.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Safari on the iPad can definitely do MobileMe's desktop website, and yet you're redirected to a pages that tells you to download iDisk and Gallery... for the iPhone. They look horrible on the iPad.

It's likely Apple is trying to hide the fact that they use Flash on the MobileMe desktop website (ya rly - turn on ClickToFlash and visit the site. Open the uploading window specifically... Yep, that's Flash you see there).

They have to hurry up and make iPad-specific Gallery and iDisk apps. I gotta admit, I think Gallery is gonna be amazing on the iPad. But either way, it better be soon!

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I was bummed that there wasn't an optimized MobileMe iDisk app for the launch. But, I'm sure it's coming. Until then, I decided to use GoodReader and it works really well. Plus I can access my Dropbox with it too!

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Yes, it's surprising that Apple didn't have a MobileMe app at launch considering that we're paying $99 a year.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Safari on the iPad can definitely do MobileMe's desktop website, and yet you're redirected to a pages that tells you to download iDisk and Gallery... for the iPhone. They look horrible on the iPad.

It's likely Apple is trying to hide the fact that they use Flash on the MobileMe desktop website (ya rly - turn on ClickToFlash and visit the site. Open the uploading window specifically... Yep, that's Flash you see there).

They have to hurry up and make iPad-specific Gallery and iDisk apps. I gotta admit, I think Gallery is gonna be amazing on the iPad. But either way, it better be soon!
Apple using Flash on MobileMe's website?! I didn't expect that and I have to tell you that I'm laughing at Steve Jobs right now. There is such hypocrisy!

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
Wow! Did not expect to see Flash on any Apple site! Odd though, because that flash area is simply a static image that's a browse button. Wonder why they need flash for that..

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Apple using Flash on MobileMe's website?! I didn't expect that and I have to tell you that I'm laughing at Steve Jobs right now. There is such hypocrisy!
The Apple website makes extensive use of CSS and JavaScript. However, I see no indication of Flash anywhere on the site. If you have evidence of Flash, then by all means share it. Until then, why are you laughing?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
As far as I can see, it is used just in the file upload dialog. It's kind of odd because it appears that only the dialog that lets you choose the file uses it, while the actual upload progress dialog goes back to being regular javascript/html.

In general the MobileMe website uses the popular Sproutcore javascript frameworks that makes Flash (apparently not quite entirely) unnecessary.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
The Apple website makes extensive use of CSS and JavaScript. However, I see no indication of Flash anywhere on the site. If you have evidence of Flash, then by all means share it. Until then, why are you laughing?
The ONLY flash part of MobileMe is the Uploader (as far as I know). This is commonly done on websites because browser can't handle more than a few MB of data whereas Flash can handle a large size file for upload (I think up to a gigabyte or so).

I'm not sure what the limitation in a web browser that prevents large file uploads, but many file upload sites use flash for the upload process because of this browser limitation.

As to the topic at hand, there is a solution coming.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The evidence is described in the original post. Before criticizing him, I suggest you check on that first.

Good reason or not, it *is* a bit embarrassing, don't you think.

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Cool that's why I can't log on to mobile me from my iPad. That somehow isn't great but hey I've got my iPad and iPhone, still by all means not satisfactory :(

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Most of the posts on this thread were talking about the state of the world in April...

As of today, you still get redirected to a help page when accessing MobileMe.com, but there have been some big improvements for iPad none the less.

The iDisk App is now fantastic on iPad and uses the full screen with previews to browse and share your files.

The Gallery App got a major update for iPad a few months ago as well. It now has beautiful full screen previews and slideshow effects as well as plenty of sharing options.

Both of these Apps are free from Apple in iTunes. Everyone on MobileMe should grab them. They are much better than the web based versions.