MobileMe vs Apple Push Notifications??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by olimits7, Sep 30, 2009.

1. olimits7 macrumors member

Hi,

What is the difference between "MobileMe" and "Apple Push Notifications" for the iPhone/AT&T?

From what I read online "MobileMe" pushes emails, and so does the "Apple Push Notifications"; so why would someone want to pay $99/year for "MobileMe"?

Thank you,

olimits7

2. Apple Guru macrumors member

MobileMe is an email service. Apple Notification is for Apps.

3. olimits7 thread starter macrumors member

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No. You are really confused. Here's the deal.

1) Apple's Push Notification Service
    A free service iPhone users get. Any app that wants to can push info from its servers to a phone whenver it wants.

EXAMPLE: Someone sends you an AOL IM and the AOL servers send it to Apple which then puts a message on your phone to check your AOL AIM app, even though the app wasn't running.

2) Push E-Mail
    Some e-mail features push e-mail, which means you'll get it when it's sent, not when the iPhond decides to check for new mail.

Yahoo mail features this. G-Mail now has it IF you set it up using theie 'Exchange' instructions. Most corprate e-mail has push by using Exchange too. MobileMe also has push e-mail, which brings us to:

3) MobileMe
    A $99-per-year service from Apple that gives you a bunch of stuff including:

* A xxxx@me.com e-mail address
    * Hard drive space on a virtual 'iDisk' that can be accessed from iPhones and computers.
    * Live over-the-air syncing of contacts and calendars between computers and iPhones. (No USB hookup needed for syncing contacts.)
    * Online photo galleries with direct uploading and downloading from iPhoto plus group photo sharing features.
    * Online iWork document sharing from Pages.
    * Back-to-my-Mac which lets you easily screen share over the internet
    * Find-my-iPhone online locator & remote phone locking

...and a bunch of other stuff. That's just the basics. You buy MobileMe if you want all that other stuff, not just for the e-mail. That'd be expensive e-mail.